Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

Worcester CDi Appliance The boiler is working properly but

Customer Question

Worcester CDi Appliance
The boiler is working properly but is producing gas which is causing headaches, nausea and an unpleasant smell. We have been visited twice by National Gas Emergency people and by British Gas . There is no evidence of gas leak or carbon monoxide but when the boiler fires up the gas/smell becomes apparent. I can smell it all of the time , other members of the family only when it builds up. Any idea what it could be and what should I do?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

.

Customer:

Hi . I'm sure British gas tested it with a gas analyser which would have told them if carbon monoxide was present, which is the dangerous gas . it may not be a gas smell but just a gasket that is heating up and giving off a smell .

Customer:

If it was my boiler , I would buy a carbon monoxide alarm and placec it above the boiler. If you can afford it , maybe its best to have it replaced for peace of mind. If you can't then a monoxide alarm and smoke alarm above the boiler

JACUSTOMER-0l6ufldr- :

Thanks for your reply - We have a CO alarm and there is no problem with CO. I think there has been a slow escalation of this current Smell/gas problem over several weeks as it would explain a lot of minor 'illness' problems.It has got much worse in recent days. I can now 'taste' this gas now in my mouth. Tastes like

JACUSTOMER-0l6ufldr- :

like Sulphur Dioxide. and where ever I go I can smell it on my clothes or maybe my hair. is there any agency you know who could come in and test it

Customer:

Hi . do you think it could be coming from a drain. As sulphur dioxide smell is produced from certain drain cleaners