KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Miele Prestige 6 washer.washing seems very wet at end of

Miele Prestige 6 washer.
washing seems very wet at end of cycle particularly with items such as bath towels but also with smaller loads. Usually a second spin works but this is inconvenient. It seems to be steadily getting worse (more frequent). Miele suggested it is due to big items causing the load to become unbalanced. They suggested not washing large single items individually but having a mixture of sizes in the loads. This doesn't explain why it used to be OK but now causes a problem. And the change in load doesn't seem to make a difference anyway.
I have taken the top off and checked all the springs at the top of the drum. They all seem ok. I haven't managed to inspect the lower springs.
Any suggestions will be welcome.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Please tell me its complete model number and the age of this appliance

Customer:

Washing machine : Miele Prestige + 6

Customer:

Bought April 2008 so nearly seven years old

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, can you check the E nr located on the door

Customer:

HW 07-1

Customer:

NR 41/86354053 MNR 07223330 Can't see an 'E' number

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, the E nr is usually located inside the door

KevinWhiteJA :

the problem is either with the drain pump that is not clean or the with the pressure switch of the appliance

KevinWhiteJA :

with the washer unplugged...you will have to check the drain pump and hose located at the bottom of the washer and make sure everything is clean there

KevinWhiteJA :

after this locate the pressure switch at the top of the unit and clean the thin hose attached to it

KevinWhiteJA :

once this is done the problem should be solved

KevinWhiteJA :

please let me know how it goes

Customer:

Not long since I used a sachet of e-spares lime-scale and detergent remover.

Customer:

Have cleaned out the pump.

Customer:

Not sure where 'top of the unit' is specifying. Does this mean top of the washing machine or top of the pump.

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes top of the washer

Customer:

I can see about 3 different pipes; back left; front right (black 10mm soft rubber); left (rhs of the large plastic moulding)

Customer:

Is there any way I can send you a picture?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes you can attach the image here

Customer:

miele Prestige Plus 6
Full Size Image

Customer:

Sorry ! I hadn't pressed the enter key after choosing the image to upload

KevinWhiteJA :

I cant see the pressure switch here...

KevinWhiteJA :

it is usually located on the right or left hand side after you remove the control

Customer:

The 10mm soft black pipe goes into the control unit on the extreme right It seems the most likely (to me !)

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes

Customer:

shall I send a close up from a different angle?

KevinWhiteJA :

are you able to remove the control

KevinWhiteJA :

Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

something like this

KevinWhiteJA :

it is the pressure switch

KevinWhiteJA :

just remove that thin hose and blow hard ... also tap on the pressure switch with back of screw driver

Customer:

I have never done it before but the only pipe that goes into the control panel is photographed next

Customer:

I pulled it off and can both blow and suck I have replaced it

Customer:

I will send some more pictures (I can't see anything looking like the pressure swicth image you sent

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, just try a wash cycle now

KevinWhiteJA :

as you have cleaned everything

KevinWhiteJA :

lets see how it goes

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

OK I will have lunch while it is washing

KevinWhiteJA :

Alright let me know how it goes

Customer:

Washed a couple of small towels and tea-towels on Cottons 40; Machine stopped with washing extremely wet and rather soapy; at this point we would run a rinse / spin program. My wife concludes that it is worse than usual; which suggests to me that we are in the right ball-park. Do you know how hard it should be to blow into the little black pipe?

KevinWhiteJA :

you can use a hair dryer to blow in the pipe

Customer:

Result of drain/spin is that every thing was as dry one would expect so now trying rinse/starch to remove excess soap

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

Customer:

not sure what you mean by use a hair drier. The pipe I blew in was too long and narrow for that to work. Do you think I may have blown the wrong pipe?

KevinWhiteJA :

Well I still do not have its correct model number so if that has not solved the problem and you have cleaned the drain pump & hose completely then it seems the drain pump has to be replaced

KevinWhiteJA :

everything else seems to be working fine

Customer:

Rinse / starch left the load extremely wet. Now looking through manual to see for certain whether spin should have been included

Customer:

will also run drain/spin to see whether that works. I must admit my scepticism about why the drain pump works intermitantly...

Customer:

Manual confirms my wife's memory that rinse starch should include a spin.

Customer:

If the machine is aborting its cycle because water hasn't drained in allotted time, is there an error code or similar to be found ? I still cannot find any E number.

KevinWhiteJA :

The machine is not draining basically on any of its cycle

KevinWhiteJA :

The most common cause is the drain pump that is bad

Customer:

Do you know whether changing the pump is a big job and roughly how much the pumps cost?

KevinWhiteJA :

a new pump will cost around £45

KevinWhiteJA :

looking at your DIY skills I think you can replace the pump yourself :)

Customer:

I am glad you have so much faith in me! Do you have any idea where I could find the recipe for such a change? You tube? Miele web site?

KevinWhiteJA :

This video will give you an idea on how to replace it however, it is different for some of the Miele models

KevinWhiteJA :

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ..Thanks

Customer:

I Have looked at video its seems a straight forward job. But Miele Prestige Plus 6 pump is on the other side of the machine.

Customer:

Does one still approach through back after turning on its side? I would (with no experience) have expected to take side-panel off...

KevinWhiteJA :

I am afraid without the model number I cannot tell you how to open it ... sorry

KevinWhiteJA :

but yes changing the drain pump is not a difficult job