Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Trying to find out why my Hoover VHC681B won't work

Trying to find out why my Hoover VHC681B won't work before phoning a repair technician.

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Customer:

More info, the lights do not pause they are continuous, the drum does heat in the 5 minutes it works. The filter is cleane the condeser unit is clean and the water reservoir is empty

Dales-Electronic :

I need you to just do this for me, firstly run the appliance empty with no clothes in and tell me what happens?

Customer:

Will just do that now

Customer:

It is currently running as it has done, it may take 5 minutes to see if it goes off again, would a mild thump noise as it goes round be anything to do with it? I haven't noticed it before but that's not to say it hasn't always been there

Dales-Electronic :

No the thump is normal, the drum runs on wheels the thump is where the join in the drum runs over one of the wheels

Customer:

Same as before with items in, has stopped with the 6 lights and the start light flashing, I think the noise is usually there

Dales-Electronic :

OK next stage leave it for about 15 mins and then restart it, tell me if it will restart?

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Started up fine

Dales-Electronic :

OK next can you confirm that it is actually rotating in both directions?

Customer:

yes it is

Dales-Electronic :

OK there is a sensor built into the motor that stops it overheating when the motor becomes faulty or is overloaded, what is happening here is that the sensor is shutting the appliance down after the 5 minute period is reached. Hang on and I will check the price of a new motor for you.

Customer:

Can I just comfirm that it could not be the sensors have become faulty?

Dales-Electronic :

Im just checking what sensors it has but a sensor would not be time dependent and you stated that all the filters etc had been cleaned out so as long as the motor was turning they should not have caused a problem, much more likely with sensors to shut down at start up rather than in mid cycle

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

I have to go, I will research new motors. thankk you

Dales-Electronic :

OK I cant get access to the parts sites at the moment but I would think you are looking at about £60 for the motor and then fitting if you didnt want to do it yourself ~ Ian

Customer:

Smashing thanks, bye