Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Gas cooker specialist
46681511

I have gas fired central heating and radiators in each room.

Customer Question

I have gas fired central heating and radiators in each room. Each radiator has a Honeywell thermostat fitted but because the water in Norfolk is 'hard', the needle in three of the rads. has seized. How can I remove the individual thermostats and carefully release the needle?
Expert:  Andrew Smith replied 2 years ago.
***** ***** : The top screws onto the top of the rad valve
***** ***** : Big chrome nut just under where it turns
***** ***** : Unscrew the top and they a quick spray of WD40
***** ***** : Leave couple of minutes and then tap lightly with a hammer until the pin pops back out and then give a couple more taps and the pin should bounce
JACUSTOMER-ruxzwzm7- :

Thankyou help. Sorry that I have not replied earlier. Before being able to carry out your adevice, I got called away.

JACUSTOMER-ruxzwzm7- :

I have now released each of the three encased pins but at the time of replying, none of the rads. affected have shown any sign of warmth. All this has happened over the past eight days. Prior to that, all the radiators were functioning normally. I have checked the rads. but none was found. The pump is less than two years old and although the system I quite extensive, I have kept it serviced every year without fail. One of the faulty rads in a large, double radiator and just one of the parts is cold!

Andrew Smith, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Gas cooker specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Andrew

I'm not sure how the communication system works. This is the fourth 'follow-up' communication I have now received. I completed the first one and thanked you help even though the solution to my radiator problem is still eluding me.

As mentioned in my earlier replies, your instructions to me were clear and certainly enabled me to eliminate what might have been the fault.

So I was certainly satisfied with your response and already commended the JustAnswer to a person I conversed with during the time I was away from Norwich.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.

. push the pins up an down carefully . sometimes this frees the stuck pin . tap hard with a hammer against the body of the valve . this helps if they are really stuck . I this method didn't work then the only option is to drain down and replace them

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

PLEASE, PLEASE can you put an end to all the follow-up communications I am being bombarded with since my enquiry about my gas central heating radiators.

It is getting quite out of hand.

I acted on your very helpful advice, paid the £20 fee and gave a positive rating.

That should be the end of the matter

You rated the expert who opted out . I think this is what happened . you may have to email customer services to sort out . I can't do it from my end .