Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

Hotpoint FFA70 owned 12 years plus and is a great appliance

Customer Question

Hotpoint FFA70 owned 12 years plus and is a great appliance but last 2 years has not auto defrosted so each 6 months removed fan cover & manually defrosted, clear drain etc. What can I do to rectify? I am an electrical engineer so know the principles but not the detail of this machine.
Thank you, ***** *****; *****@******.***
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Ok the principle is around a defrost heater, defrost sensor and a thermal fuse to protect the appliance

JACUSTOMER-q2x4ga5w- :

Hello Ian of Dales-Electronic. Not enough information in your reply. As I said, I know the principles but did expect more detail. A quick sketch of the bits you refer to & their locations would have helped, together with a likely culprit. The machine is now defrosted and running. In the meantime I will sus. the system and fix it myself. Your reply was not worth the cost.

Dales-Electronic :

That is fine but since you didnt give me enough information to help you how do you expect me to diagnose the fault. You say that you are an electrical engineer and yet you do not provide me with the basic information such as defrost sensor resistance readings, thermal fuse and heater continuity even though you have taken the thing to bits I can help you but only if you work with me