Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

whining sound coming from washing cycle on a zanussi jetsystem

whining sound coming from washing cycle on a zanussi jetsystem 1000 model fj1093
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am sorry to hear that.
How old is your washer?
Also does it sound like bearing noise? Like almost a dry bearing?
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The washer was purchased in 1994. Yes it sounds like a dry brearing or a belt slipping like the sound of an alternator belt on a car, but it is not the drum bearing or the pulley wheel belt slipping.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Norman for that.
Does it sound the same way with a light load?
Also does it get worse as the machine picks up speed?
Thanks for your patience.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it sounds the same with a light load. It does get worse as the machine picks up speed.It is an intermitten whining sound that subsides as the cycle progresses.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Norman. The problem is a bad drum bearing. Its a pretty big job to replace this one. If you have the tools and are handy you could do this with my help. But if you are unsure, it would be best to have this part replaced by an appliance repair technician.
Please let me know what you would like to do.
I will stick with you until this is fixed, please don’t forget to rate my service to you before you close this page. I will be available to you at no additional cost , you can then get in touch with me anytime by simply replying to this message.
Thank you and have a nice day Norman.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear *****, you say it is the drum bearing that is the problem.Then surely it would make a worse sound on the spin cycle.The spin cycle sounds okay. I have tried the drum to see if there is any play on it but it seems free enough with no play on it.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Oh ok I thought you said it gets worse the faster the drum spins?
Is that not correct?
I need specifics to be sure of my diagnosis, as for the drum bearing "PLAY"you may not be able to feel that by hand as the tolerances are very tight even when the bearing is failing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Micheal, when the washer is turned on on the wash cycle, the whining sound gets louder till it reaches a peak and then slowly subsides as the wash cycle runs it's course.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Norman,
this could be the motor itself. Try to listen near the motor in the the back of the unit. You may need to remove the cover to hear that better.
If it is the motor failing it will eventually fail altogether but there really is no danger there. It sounds from what you are saying that the motor is to blame for this because the motor will eventually start to whine. But that sound , if its not too bad could last many years;-)
Thank you and have a great day Norman.
Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.