canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

The picture has totally gone this evening on my Toshiba 40L

Customer Question

The picture has totally gone this evening on my Toshiba 40L 1353 B LED television. Still sound, but screen is totally black, nothing! Is this worth the repair, or best to scrap??
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. If you unplug the tv then hold the power button on the tv (not the remote) for 15 seconds and then plug it back in, does the picture come on then?

JACUSTOMER-fc6x1dlw- :

No, no change!

Customer:

That hardly ever works but worth a shot. Sorry to hear that. When it is on do you see any image at all? If you watch in a dark room very closely?

JACUSTOMER-fc6x1dlw- :

It's pitch black, like the television isn't on. But it is, sound ok.

Customer:

The issue will be with one of the circuit boards, no doubt. Either the main board (the board that the connections plug into) or the power supply board (power plug connects to). So, the next step would be a little exploratory surgery. Are you going to repair yourself?

JACUSTOMER-fc6x1dlw- :

No, I just wanted to know if it was worth repairing, or more cost effective just to buy a new tele?

Customer:

The cost of repairing would be very close to buying new. Repairing yourself would be a little expensive also. Especially the main board. Repair people don't even repair the board, they just replace it. At least if you replaced it yourself then you have the option of buying used parts but then finding the parts can be difficult also. So sorry.

Customer:

Unless you were looking for a good reason to buy a new one! Then I say congrats!

JACUSTOMER-fc6x1dlw- :

That's ok. New tele it is then! Many thanks!

Customer:

You are very welcome!