Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

My Halstead Buckingham 3 ch boiler stopped working. The pilot

Customer Question

My Halstead Buckingham 3 ch boiler stopped working. The pilot light was on but the boiler wouldn't fire. My plumber replaced the gas valve and thermocouple but now the pilot won't stay on at all. Any ideas?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Once the parts had been changed, did the plumber light the boiler and was it left in a lit state?

JACUSTOMER-zaiixymf- :

The plumber tried to light the boiler but the pilot wouldn't stay on

George-Allsorts :

If the plumber has replace the equipment correctly, then there are three possible causes:

1. There is an air-lock in the gas supply pipe

2. The new valve is faulty

3. The new thermocouple is faulty

JACUSTOMER-zaiixymf- :

1. The pilot light burns strongly with the button depressed suggesting the gas supply is fine

George-Allsorts :

yes

JACUSTOMER-zaiixymf- :

2. We have tried 2 new gas valves and neither will keep pilot light on so probably gas valve is not to blame

George-Allsorts :

Then the thermocouple... try using the old thermocouple

JACUSTOMER-zaiixymf- :

3. when plumber put back original gas valve and original thermocouple, pilot light did stay alight, but boiler didn't fire

George-Allsorts :

Then the thermocouple is definitely to blame for the lack of pilot ..

George-Allsorts :

Stupid question I know, but, he did fill the boiler?

JACUSTOMER-zaiixymf- :

Today the plumber left the boiler with a new gas valve fitted and the old thermocouple fitted, but pilot won't stay on

JACUSTOMER-zaiixymf- :

what do you mean 'fill the boiler'. Why should it be empty?

George-Allsorts :

OK.. Rather than fill the boiler .. change that to check the pressure

JACUSTOMER-zaiixymf- :

Not as far as I know, but there has been nothing to suggest that water pressure would be a problem. There have not been any leaks.

George-Allsorts :

I would be questioning the main-board as this controls the firing of the boiler, however, I'm going to opt-out of the question on the hope that someone who knows that boiler can respond to you...my kind regards

JACUSTOMER-zaiixymf- :

What do I do now? Wait for another expert?

George-Allsorts :

Yes, there was no reason or need to rate me with Bad Service as I have not served you with Bad Service.. If you wait, another expert will come to your assistance.. one who knows your boiler with a little more familiarity

JACUSTOMER-zaiixymf- :

Sorry. First time I've used this. It kept insisting I had to make a rating!

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi . can't find the manual but there will be an overheat stat that may have tripped .it may need pushing in to reset. Otherwise you are looking at the pcb
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , do you still have a problem with your boiler?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I still have the problem. Not sure there is a pcb on this model. It seems to be electro mechanical rather than electronic. The boiler is about 20 years old.

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Ok , did you find the overheat stat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have solved the problem now. How do I close this question?

Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Hi , out of curiosity what was it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was a faulty original gas valve. The new gas valve has 2 positions for connecting the thermocouple. It was set for the wrong one. Sod's law. When the plumber spotted it and changed it, it worked straight away.