George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Michael, I have a belling 653 hbl. I stripped it down and replaced the main oven thermo

Hi Michael, I have a belling 653 hbl. I stripped it down and replaced the main oven thermostat, put everthing back together and the oven worked again. However the fan and back light didnt come on. Then they both came on but wouldnt turn off. Stripped it down to check wires and all seem ok, but they dont work again. Hard work trying to cook with it at present. Everything else works ok. Thanks Alan
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello Alan, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not always available.

What was the reason that you changed the thermostat in the first instance

Customer:

Hi George, the switch must have been faulty, as the light was on and oven going all the time when the switch was off. This has rectified that problem, but as I say the fan and light dont work. Got a new one for my model from espares.

George-Allsorts :

The problem you have is with the selector switch and not the thermostat.. You'll proberbly find that the old thermostat is still in good order.

Customer:

Isnt it all one item? The switch has the thermostat cable attatched. Being a new switch it should be ok? Or should I get another switch?

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** what I have changed. What is the selector switch then?

George-Allsorts :

looking for it now

George-Allsorts :

The selector switch is what the thermostat plugs into the back of.. the only time that this is different is when you have a separate temperature control

Customer:

There was only 4 wires that slotted onto the back. One of those had 2 joined together (yellow and blue) on the top left as you look at it. A white on the top right and a purple on the right side.

George-Allsorts :

Can you take a picture of it for me?

Customer:

Cant seem to get the picture up. It looks like the first one you sent.

George-Allsorts :

You changed the one that looks like the first picture didn't you.. but what did that plug into the back of? Is it the one in the second image?

Customer:

http://m.imgur.com/upload

George-Allsorts :

I can not get that to load

George-Allsorts :

Can you send it to my works phone 07787182156

Customer:

I have sent 3 pics on my phone, hope you get them.

George-Allsorts :

Hi Alan, I got a message saying "from Alan" but nothing else

Customer:

Trying on another phone

George-Allsorts :

I must go soon but will pick this up from home later

George-Allsorts :

OK, as I said on the phone:

Open the oven door and look at the bottom... If it is not there then look on the back of the cooker for a label

Customer:

Hi george, have finally got it working. After stripping the cooker down again it still wouldnt work. So I undid the 2 screws and took the thermostat out. It worked ok, so I tried 2 shorter screws in it and refitted it. It worked ok, so I pressume I had tightened the screws too much and it was shorting. All ok now. Many thanks for your help. Alan