George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

, I have a Ignis ADL348 dishwasher. Just recently it

I have a Ignis ADL348 dishwasher.
Just recently it developed a problem where it was filling up and draining but not washing.
On further investigation it appeared that the circulation pump/impellor wasn't working properly anymore and didn't sound right so I found a replacement pump online and ordered it.
I have fitted it this morning and was a little surprised to see that while had the same hose fitting sizes and connection points it was structured differently on the body.
Side by side you might say they were different pumps altogether but this is what was recommended on the site (GENUINE DIPLOMAT WHIRLPOOL PRIMA IKEA DISHWASHER CIRCULATION PUMP 480140103009).
Anyway, I fitted it and all appears to be working as it should the dishwasher is washing but I noticed just before refitting the foot plate that the l shaped flexible black rubber pipe from the water heater to the sump was squashed shut and woul reinflate immeadiately when I turn off the washer.
I thought that maybe I have connected the power plug to the pump the wrong way around but on checking it is mated with its connector correctly and it appears to be washing ok, the pump body feels hot though so I was wondering if it is supposed to do this?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

I am not familiar with the exact model you describe, but this sort of problem you describe, where the hose collapses happens during vacuum due to the pump not being able to draw the water volume it requires... This is usually due to a blockage somewhere else in the circulation system

Customer:

Thanks George, I have taken the pipe that connects from the sump to the water heater off and checked both ways, I can see clearly through to the impellor and the sump isn't blocked on either side.as I have checked

Customer:

looking at the pipe itself it seems as though it is meant to collapse in its design, does that sound right? the other possibility is that the pump I have fitted is maybe over rated and is trying to pull water through faster than the inlet is allowing and causing the pipe to collapse?

Customer:

would a picture help?

George-Allsorts :

Thank you, you will need to check the full circulation to check if any other hoses or filters are restricting flow... otherwise you just have a weak hose that will require replacement

George-Allsorts :

The hose is not meant to callapse as this would cause a restriction in flow and therefore cause undue wear and tear on other parts... It could be as you say that the pump is over-rated however that is very unlikely...

You could replace the hose to solve the problems, but I would investigate any restriction to the flow throughout the circulatory system first

Customer:

the pipe doesn't look degraded at all and it feels consistent with the new ones that came with the pump is it possible the pump is overated?

Customer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-DIPLOMAT-WHIRLPOOL-PRIMA-IKEA-DISHWASHER-CIRCULATION-PUMP-480140103009-/181441185098?ssPageName=ADME:X:EAC:GB:3160

Customer:

this is the pump I bought which said it was compatible with my machine

Customer:

sorry didn't see the rest of your answer there, I'll see if I can see any other areas of potential blockage in the circulatory part of the washer.

George-Allsorts :

The original part number for the wash pump for your appliance was 480140103011 which is now obsolete and has been replaced with part number 481010625629

George-Allsorts :

480140103009 is a motor that is listed as a repalcement for either of the correct ones but is just that.. a motor that will do the job

George-Allsorts :

Notwithstanding this, I am looking on my system and the part 480140103009 is showing as obsolete too

Customer:

so it is a suitable replacement?

Customer:

just ebay'ed 481010625629 and the picture shows there is identical to the motor I bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHILRPOOL-IGNIS-DISHWASHER-WASH-PUMP-MOTOR-481010625629-/390030602794

George-Allsorts :

Yes, it is a suitable replacement for the original one you had on your system, however, I have no diagram of 480140103009 therefore I can not see if there are any differences in trajectory of the hose

George-Allsorts :

good

George-Allsorts :

Then I would say either the hose is weak or you have, not a complete blockage, but a restriction somewhere in the circulatory system... maybe a fat build-up or a blocked filter...

Customer:

ok, I'll keep looking but I was expecting to find a blockage at the sump end as that's where the pipe is collapsing rather than at the end where it pumps back into the dishwasher and sprays, do I sound like im on the right track?

George-Allsorts :

To explain it better, if you take your vacuum and place you hand over the end of the tube and then switch it on... watch the tube collapse under the vaccum

Customer:

I'm sure it will as its pretty soft and it looks like it was designed to collapse with a half fold in the middle of the pipe, I'll keep looking and look into ordering a new pipe if I cant find anything else

George-Allsorts :

Try putting a proprietory dishwasher cleaner through it and see if this helps any..... But cirtainly the hose is not meant to close causing a restriction... This will also cause the wash motor to overheat as it is having to work too hard

Customer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-Ignis-Dishwasher-Hose-/140847519198?pt=UK_H_G_Major_Appliances_Oven_Cooker_Hoods_ET&hash=item20cb2a95de

Customer:

just as we were talking I found the hose on ebay, if you look carefully you can see it has some inset shoulders on the bend

Customer:

inside the pipe this restricts the diameter of the pipe to about half and this is where it collapses, just seems like an odd design

George-Allsorts :

Yes, The hose is designed that eway due to the fact that it has to bend... The ribs are for strength... This hose is not meant to collapse during use

George-Allsorts :

Please consider leaving a rating at this point.. This is the only way I am credited for my assistance to you today

George-Allsorts :

Can I give you any further assistance with this before I go?