canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have a bosch silver edition SMS40A08GB.

I have a bosch silver edition SMS40A08GB not pumping out. I've checked the filter hole and it's clear except the plastic pump cover was there and seems broken. The impeller feels free to move.Error message is E24 I think.
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field years. I will be very glad to help you today. The error does indicate an issue with the water not pumping out most likely with the pump or a blockage. If you disconnect the drain where it connects under the sink and direct that drain to a bucket and run the dishwasher does it pump out then or remove the blockage?

Customer:

. No. I tried that but didn't get anywhere. Except briefly when I thumped the water matrix! the broken plastic thingy seems to be the pump cover that sits in the drain hole. Part of that has broken off. Could this have gone down the drain pipe and blocked it? I cant see how to check that end of the pipe.

canuck the pro :

Do you hear the pump come on when it should be draining?

canuck the pro :

If there was a blockage then the impeller should be harder to move. Were you able to turn the impeller a complete rotation?

canuck the pro :

If any pieces got past the pump then they should drain on out. Could be that the shaft on the impeller is broken also.

canuck the pro :

Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

canuck the pro :

I have to run out on a plumbing call. I should be back in an hour or two. Sorry inconvenience.

Customer:

I think that I do hear what seems to be the pump trying. Certainly when I thumped the matrix it did actually pump briefly.

Customer:

The impeller seems to be free top rotate a full rotation. I guess if I could actually get at the pump I could be more specific.

canuck the pro :

Turn the power off and remove the access panel on the front at the bottom. There are two screws holding that panel on. Open the door and remove the screws inside the door that hold the front panel on. Do not remove the screws that hold the hinges. Close the door and pull the front panel of the door down then off. Then back down at the bottom there is another metal plate held on by two screws. Remove that plate and then remove the insulation behind it. This will allow access to the pump. Remove the hose from the clip and it will pull out. Then unplug the wiring harness and push the tabs in on the retaining clip and turn the pump clockwise to remove then pull it out.

Customer:

Carried out access info and found the pump free and intact. Drain pipe clear of everything and sump free of everything. Problem still there. Then I took another look at the plastic pump cover I mentioned in the original problem description. It seems it was not broken, just displaced. I refitted the piece and pump now working. The pump will not work without the piece fitted.

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber