Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

how to repair a monterey wall heater

Customer Question

how to repair a monterey wall heater
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 1 year ago.
Plumberpro :

.

Plumberpro :

Hi , what is wrong with the appliance?

Plumberpro :

Is the pilot ignitor working and making a spark?

Plumberpro :

Is the pilot lit?

JACUSTOMER-q7p5w8i7- :

Thanks Plumberpro but my appliance is not a gas boiler. It is a Dimplex Monterey Wall heater.

JACUSTOMER-q7p5w8i7- :

Can you help?

Plumberpro :

Maybe , whats wrong , is not heating at all ?

Plumberpro :

Its going to be either the stat or the element. Do you have a multimeter?

JACUSTOMER-q7p5w8i7- :

the element is fine i.e. see original note - already tried; holding the power button down for 4 minutes with the slider at max as recommended in the manual. In this situation the element is producing heat but as soon as I take my finger off the start button both lights go out and the element cools down.

Plumberpro :

Ok , sounds like the stat then .

JACUSTOMER-q7p5w8i7- :

How do I test the stat?. I have a multimeter but have only used it a couple of times.

Plumberpro :

Ok , place the multimeter on ohms and the probes on each connector on the stat . should get continuity through it , turn the stat up and down , the continuity should break/stop.

JACUSTOMER-q7p5w8i7- :

How do I access the stat on this model? It is currently on the wall and connected

Plumberpro :

Do you have the exact model?.

Plumberpro :

Hi , still trying to locate the install service instructions for your heater , please give me a few MIBs , thanks

Plumberpro :

Hi ,sorry can't locate the manual. Will opt out to see if any other expert knows these better than me.

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries. Can you advise why you put the heater in to test mode and what is actually happening at the moment, have you got any heat output?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian,

When I switch on the heater the power light comes on but when I move the temperature control slider up the temperature light flashes once. As I continue to move the slider up then both lights flash and then go out.

I followed the user instructions i.e.

Holding the power button down for 4 minutes with the slider at max. Both lights begin flashing together (This proved that the heater elements are working, producing heat) but as soon as I remove my finger from the power button all the lights go out.and there is no heat.

I suspect that the problem may be the thermostat.

What do you recommend?

James

OK are you able to use a multimeter and are you happy to take the heater apart?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a small multimeter but would need basic guidance on how to use it.

Yes I can take the raidator apart with some guidance from yourself

OK basically this type of wall heater is made up of heating element, usually looks like a spring, a control thermostat, a safety thermostat and sometimes a thermal fuse. You need to switch off the power to the heater and then take off the cover to check which items are faulty ~ can you remove the cover?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't see how to remove the cover as there are no screws either on the front panel or at the sides. It looks as if I will have to remove the radiator from its bracket on the wall. but I will need to isolate the power first. Is this the correct approach?

Yes isolate the heater, get it off the wall and if you have enough cable lay it down whilst you get the covers off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't do it tonight and probably not tomorrow but will contact you on Thursday, hopefully with the radiator off the wall.

Fine I'll be around ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian

My pc has problems so I don't know if you will receive this note. I will try to use another pc. If I am not successful it will be over a week before we can resume the fault finding as I will be in France..

Apologies for the delay

James

Hi James, Thats fine just log back in when you are around and we can continue ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your patience.

I've just returned from France and ready to resume the diagnostics.

I've managed to isolate the power and have removed the heater from the wall bracket. I have a small digital multi meter ready for use (but have not used one before).

Unfortunately I am out tomorrow but will be here all day on Thursday.

James.

Unfortunately I am out all day tomorrow so will not be able to

That's fine James come back on here when you are around and we can do the meter first and then the heater later ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian

I have the digital multimeter set to ohms for resistance testing and the leads connected as per instruction manual.

The heater is off the wall with the fuse removed, although the appliance has a permanent connection to the wall socket.so I cannot move it very far.

Apologies for the delay but my desk top was in for repair whilst I was away last week and is still causing problems so I am using an old slow and small laptop which is not very satisfactory but hopefully it will function long enough to fix this heater.

James

OK does the multimeter have a beeper as part of arrangement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No beeper indicated

Can you tell me the model of the multimeter, it is most unusual for it not to have one and it would make life much easier for you if we can find one ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Palm size multimeter UT30 series UT30 - does this help?

James

OK leads in central and right hand plug, turn knob to diode test ie at 170 degree slightly at right of bottom centre, put two probes together and tell me if you get a beep?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No not on the diode setting. However I do get a beep on the continuity setting

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ian

I replied on 30th Jan but perhaps you didn't receive the message which said -

James

OK can you ping me a picture of what you have in front of you and I can then refer to it ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I don't know what you mean i.e. 'ping' and of what ?

I have a UNIT-T palm size digital multimeter and the operating manual is for a UT30A

OK can you post a picture so that I can see what you have in front of You and then I can talk you through it ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you want a picture of the multimeter or of the heater, or both?

.

Just the heater but leave the multimeter on continuity

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I get the back off this heater?

If you send me some photos I'll able to tell you I cant get hold of the parts list
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Images of the back/front/side and top. Hope this is what you need.

I suspect that it is pictures of the heater with the cover removed that you need.

Can you instruct me how to remove the cover from the back of this heater? There are so many screws I am not sure which ones to unscrew.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought we had lost touch. The following is a copy of my latest reply, to you on 2nd Feb:

"Images of the back/front/side and top (Jpg's were included) Hope this is what you need.

I suspect that it is pictures of the heater with the cover removed that you need."

Thanks"

OK can you send them to ~ dales.electronic(at)btopenworld.com ~ the system wont let me see your photos ~ Ian
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ian

Pictures posted to you at Dales-Electronic on 10/02/2015. I also sent an email asking if you received them on 15/02/2015.

If you can tell me which screws to take out to remove the back cover we should be able to move quickly on this problem.

James

I have not received any photos since your last post ~ kindly check that you have sent them to dales(dot)electronic NOT dales(hyphen)electronic as listed above ~ Ian