KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

. Ive got an Indesit IDF 125 and the on and dry lights flash

Customer Question

Ive got an Indesit IDF 125 and the on and dry lights flash rapidly after a short period.
Machine is draining, and appears to start the was cycle. There is not heat, even after a few minutes running and the detergent draw doesn't open.
The two are obviously connected, but I presume that the the draw opening is not temperature controlled?
Any suggestions on what I should check next?
Darren
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 1 year ago.
Customer:

Hi, welcome to Just answer

Customer:

How old is this washer ?

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

couple of years...

Customer:

OK, and you have cleaned everything...there is no water in the base of the dishwasher ?

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

a small amount up to the bottom of the black outlet in teh base. Filters all cleaned and its draining itself before it starts the wash cycle.

Customer:

OK, the problem seems to be with the heating element of the unit

Customer:

can you test it with the multimeter ?

Customer:

Indesit IDF125 UK Heater Element
Full Size Image

Customer:

this is the element for your dishwasher

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

Thats what I was thinking, does temperature controll the openign of the detergent draw?

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

where is that in the machine, im stuggling to get the side panel off at the moment as I cant see the last retaining screws/clips near the hinge on the door!

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

Got a multimeter.

Customer:

OK, good....a moment please

Customer:

with the dishwasher unplugged

Customer:

take off the bottom panel

Customer:

and the side panel comes off

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

ok, Ill go and do that........

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

that was easy, no screws.

Customer:

the heating element is located near the circulation pump motor and you can access it from underneath

Customer:

after the bottom panel is removed

Customer:

once you have removed it test it for continuity with a multimeter

Customer:

no continuity means bad heater and that will have to be replaced

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

Ok, thanks, ***** ***** and check......assume i need to disconnect it first?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

please let me know how it goes

Customer:

If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service ....Thanks

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

will do.....and thanks thus far!

Customer:

You're welcome

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

Ok, Ive disconnected the Earth and the power supply here.

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

And tested the female end on the heating element. Nothing

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

I have also checked continuity across both the terminals here. Also nothing.

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

assuming Im looking at the right bit, i guess its had it!

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

just for my own piece of mind....if the machine is not heating up, the detergent draw wont spring? and is it worth replacing, or in your opinion would it be better to get a new machine. it gets used once a day, so its on the go quite a bit!

Customer:

Hi, sorry was away for a while

Customer:

if there is nothing then heating element needs replacement

Customer:

a new one costs around £48 and you can buy it from here

Customer:

looking at the age of this appliance and the costs involved...I believe it is still better to replace the element

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

Hi Kevin.

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

I have just dismantled the pump and motor. There is a massive amount of gunk, both food wast and limescale in the pump. the grey pump housing is stuck fast in the motor. i will post a pic in a second to show you what i mean!

Customer:

oh ok, I thought you have already cleaned it

Customer:

please clean everything and then check another cycle

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

I cant separate the grey bit from teh black bit!

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

And I had cleaned it, just not inside the pump housing!!

Customer:

The first image is not showing, anyways if you have cleaned it already then just check with another cycle

Customer:

I still believe it is the heating element causing this problem

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

I have separated the two. (first picture was the same not sure why it did not come out so had to repost)

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

Is there any point in putting back together with the faulty heating element? There is no continuity between the two terminals

JACUSTOMER-7rzer87f- :

Darren

Customer:

If the test was performed with everything disconnected then yes there is no point and heating element has to be replaced

Customer:

Darren, If you have further questions I will be pleased to assist you – please use the REPLY link for further assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

Customer:

Please don't forget to leave a rating as that is the only way I receive credit for the assistance that I
have provided today...Thanks :)