George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

. My Bosch washer/dryer is five years old. Recently, it wouldn't

Hi. My Bosch washer/dryer is five years old. Recently, it wouldn't complete fluff clean cycle or wash/dry. No error code is displayed. Engineer attended and said nothing wrong with it. After 10 days, loaded wash/dry load for time cycle 1hr49mins on 30 programme. Programme started but machine went silent after about ten minutes and motor kept running but nothing happened, no drum spin or movement. Cancelled programme and tried to engage a new programme, machine filled again but programme wouldn't run. Again, no error code. Engineer is coming out again but I suspect no fault will be evident to him. Any ideas please ?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

What is the ENR and FD of the appliance please

Customer:

I don't have those numbers with me at the moment George, I think it's something like WFT...........GB

Customer:

Ah, in fact it is : WKD28350GB 402561 991040255374004379

George-Allsorts :

OK.. thanks for that.. I shall go and have a look at the build structure of your appliance

Customer:

George-Allsorts :

You say the machine went silent but the motor kept running.. what do you mean by this?

George-Allsorts :

And.. is this on a wash load or a dry load?

Customer:

This was on a wash directly into dry cycle which would last 1 hour 49 minutes. The motor was audible but the drum did not turn in 20 minutes. I could

Customer:

not get another programme to run despite cancelling the original one. Machine was very full of water when drained.

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. without being at the appliance I can only go on what you have told me... The Belt come off between the motor and the drums pulley wheel.. You can hear the motor running but the drum isn't going round.. There is no fault code due to the fact that the motor is actually working.

Customer:

Would that be consistent with the machine being unusually noisy the last time it ran successfully then, as it indeed was ?

George-Allsorts :

Yes, most likely the inner bearing has worn, which causes the pully wheel to go out of position and the belt to fall off

Customer:

Thanks but I'm puzzled. This fault happened, engineer attended but did nothing. Machine was OK again for about then days but then faulted as discussed. The belt couldn't have refixed itself in the meantime before it failed again I imagine ?

George-Allsorts :

Alternatively the motor bearing being worn could cause the same issue

George-Allsorts :

or the pulley wheel could be loose

or then finally, it could just be a warped belt that will come off on its own, although this would not cause any noise

Customer:

Thank you I will suggest this to the engineer. Is there any point in trying to run it again ? before he comes ..

George-Allsorts :

Well, whenever you want to try it, put it onto drain/spin If it then doesn't pump out , cancel the program immediately. but if it does drain the appliance and start to spin.. if it does not spin then there is a problem of one of the above or more sinister, however, if it does spin then you have an intermittent problem that will require further inverstigation

Customer:

Many thanks George. I'll wait for the engineer before we try again. Bye Bye