KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

there. Over the weekend I took out the water pump to re-attache

Hi there. Over the weekend I took out the water pump to re-attache the impeller that had come off (Somehow knocked off by a small piece of wood). This now works fine, but strangely has upset the drying programme.
Washing and spinning programmes appear to be OK. However, when using the the drying programmes, the washing comes out cold and even wetter than when the cycle started, so the machine seems to be adding water.
Any thoughts you might have would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
KevinWhiteJA :

Hi Mike, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

Can you please post its complete model number and age of this appliance

Customer:

Hi Kevin

Customer:

Sorry it's taken a bit of time to get back to you.

Customer:

From the plate on the machine I can see the E-nr V4380X0GB/13 FD 8209(###) ###-####

Customer:

The machine is at least 10-12 years old

Customer:

No obvious signs of a model number - unless you cansuggest where to look.

Customer:

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, Thanks

KevinWhiteJA :

can you test the element with a multimeter ?

Customer:

I have a meter, would need some guidance on where to look and test....

Customer:

I'm not a technician, but I am resonably handy

KevinWhiteJA :

Great, please check this Video .... it will give you an idea on how to remove the element...with the washer unplugged, once you have removed the element...just test it for continuity, no continuity means bad element which will need replacement

Customer:

Got it. Thanks.

Customer:

Can I get back to you?

KevinWhiteJA :

Sure no problem

Customer:

Thanks. I'll be in touch.

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome....

Customer:

Hi Kevin

Customer:

Have had a bit of spare time and took a look at the element. (Video link is excellent by the way) There is continuity - so I take it from that the element is OK

Customer:

Mike

KevinWhiteJA :

Hello....OK and have you checked with the element disconnected ?

Customer:

PS The element is accessible from the back on this Neff model. It was an interesting exercise taking the front off though.

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

the test was with connectors off

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, can you also test the NTC located near the element

KevinWhiteJA :

Neff V4380X0GB/13 Heater Element Sensor
Full Size Image

Customer:

OK. Same test?

KevinWhiteJA :

This is the temperature sensor for your washer

KevinWhiteJA :

yes same...everything unplugged and disconnected just test this for continuity

Customer:

Will do. Back in 2

KevinWhiteJA :

OK

Customer:

Same result.

KevinWhiteJA :

It has continuity ?

Customer:

Yes

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, if they test ok the only other thing I can think of are the carbon brushes which might have been worn off by now and so it wont heat

KevinWhiteJA :

It is usually the element or the temperature sensor, as they test fine and everything else works so it is more likely the carbon brushes as the control is also working fine

KevinWhiteJA :

you can check the wiring to the heater though before replacing those brushes

KevinWhiteJA :

and also check to make sure the connectors are fine

Customer:

OK. Are those test/checks straightforward?

Customer:

And are the brushes easily replaced?

KevinWhiteJA :

yes, check the wiring from the water pump

KevinWhiteJA :

yes brushes can be easily replaced

Customer:

The wires to the heater element go back to the main terminal block. Access looks difficult.

Customer:

Could the programmer or the programme selector switch be U/S - at least for the drying sequences?

Customer:

OK I will do following checks: main terminal block to water pump and to heater elements

Customer:

Can you supply carbon brushes?

KevinWhiteJA :

You can buy the brushes from here

KevinWhiteJA :

and yes please check the wiring and connectors from the terminal block to water pump and then to heater

KevinWhiteJA :

as the heater and the temperature sensor test continuity it is more likely a loose connection somewhere causing this problem

Customer:

OK Kevin

Customer:

I have checked the continuity of the water pump wiring - it's OK

Customer:

I am struggling to remove the connector for the heater wiring from the main board so I will have to assume the continuity is OK.

Customer:

My patience is running out (with myself, not you) and I think that I will replace the brushes as a last attempt to fix, if this doesn't work then it's a new machine and a visit to the tip.

Customer:

Thanks for the link to the brushes.

Customer:

One last request for information - how do I fit them? Do you have access to another smart video?

Customer:

Thanks for your help. Take care. Mike Bounds

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes, please check the Video and let me know how it goes

Customer:

Kevin, Thanks for the link. I have watched the video and I am not sure why the brushes might be the problem. The washing and spinning cycles seem to work fine, the drum rotates a treat, it is jus the drying that's the problem. What do you think?

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes, that is the reason I believe it has something to do with either the wiring or the connectors...it is likely that while you were re attaching the impeller something might have disturbed the drying cycle which was working fine earlier...checking the control is also recommended..I said brushes because the washer is like 12 years old

KevinWhiteJA :

The most likely and most common part which is replaced when the washer wont dry and everything else works fine is the heater element and/or the temperature sensor...as both these have continuity so I believe it is either the wiring or the control

Customer:

OK. Understood, that makes sense. When you say control, what do you mean there? Is there anything you would recommend I check/replace on the controls side - or is that really time to get a new machine??

KevinWhiteJA :

You can check the control for any burned components

KevinWhiteJA :

looking at the age of this washer, it won't be a good idea to spend like £100 on parts

Customer:

Thanks for your time and patience. Take care.