KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

have hoover drier vhv680c -80. lights flashing on front panel,

Customer Question

have hoover drier vhv680c -80. lights flashing on front panel, have checked heater and thermal cutout, all have continuity. Just replaced control panel today same problem heats for 10 seconds then click and no heat and all lights flashing. Where do I look now for fault?
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
Customer:

Hi, welcome to Just answer

Customer:

How old is it ?

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

probably 3 or 4 year old

Customer:

OK, and how did the problem start ?

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

just doing normal drying on sunday (was working a few days before) didn't work. is it possible the sensor / thermal cutout cuts out at a much lower tempersture thsn it should ? can I bypass them just to see if they are faulty?

Customer:

usually when all lights flash it is the thermal cut off that is bad however, as you have already checked it for continuity lets try to see if we can get any error code here

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

Can I remove it from the heater but leave it electrically connected and leave it just in room air to see if it works correctly?

Customer:

to test it you have to remove it completely and then check it for continuity

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

Ok, I only put test meter across terminals while it was connected to machine, I'll remove wires and check it

Customer:

oh ok ... similarly test the element after you have removed it and everything disconnected

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

Sensors both give resistance of 0.6 ohms. element does heat up but only for 10 seconds

Customer:

and element has continuity after it is removed ?

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

Yes

Customer:

ok then please follow this and tell me what you get :

Customer:

Unplug the dryer and plug it back in after 2-3 minutes...once it is plugged back in PUSH and HOLD the START button ( make sure the dryer must be OFF and the door Closed while you are doing this) ....now while holding the START button turn the program selector knob to position #3.

After this is done...The Acrylic/Synthetic LED should come on and stay lit with fixed light....now release the START button and then PUSH and RELEASE it twice within 2 seconds...now it wil start the auto test sequence

For 3 seconds the LED will be lit and then the Buzzer beeps and display envision

All LEDs are lit fixed and the buzzer beeps once again...if there was any stored error code it will now come up...

Also all the LEDs will blink in a sequence to give a error, please count number of flashes between the pauses and let me know how many times it flashed

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

flashed 14 times

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

There was no buzzer though

Customer:

OK 14 flashes indicate Rear NTC detected faulty

Customer:

have you checked that as well for continuity ?

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

If it is on the top of the heater panel / unit, then yes I checked both sensors and they both gave 0.6 ohms

Customer:

also check its wiring and connectors

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

All wiring seems ok and connectors are fine and firm fit

Customer:

OK, and have you replaced the PCB or the control module ?

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

Yes ,yesterday I checked heater sensors etc and ordered control panel which arrived this morning. Yesterday there was no heating at all with the new control panel it heats for 10 s before cutting out

Customer:

OK and you are sure the PCB was installed correctly and you had the machine unplugged when installing it ?

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

replaced the full PCB on front panel and carefully remove the connectors from the old one and made sure the went it the orientation on the new one, Is the control module on the pcb or is it separate ?

Customer:

a moment please

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Hoover VHV680C-80 Thermal Fuse
Full Size Image

Customer:

you have already checked these two parts and they show continuity ?

Customer:

and please check this video and confirm that; this is how you have tested these parts

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

The top picture is not the same as the one fitted, the bottom picture checks out ok

Customer:

Hoover VHV680C-80 Thermal Limiter
Full Size Image

Customer:

this is the thermal limiter

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

Have used multi meter to check parts, they check out ok and have also checked for blockages in vents

Customer:

well I understand, I dont think it is anything else as the error code also indicate the problem with the Rear NTC, or its wiring or the connectors...the control board seems to be fine as it is new and I think even the old one is fine

Customer:

as it has to do with the dryer not heating I will simply go ahead and release the NTC first and then the heater assembly

Customer:

these elements are covered under 3 to 4 years of warranty however this should be checked with the manufacturer

Customer:

also if there is a start relay on the motor for this model you can also test that after you take it off

JACUSTOMER-zh7dh6dy- :

Ok , thanks for you help. I'll spend a bit more time on it but think I,m going to have to buy a new drier.

Customer:

You're welcome....You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance.... Good Day

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Found out the Thermal Limiter fitted to outlet manifold (big plastic bit that has outlet tube / hose connected to it from the drum) has no resistance even when warmer with hairdrier. Think this has been problem.

OK Great that it is solved... Thank You