Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Our bosch Eco logi xx7 dryer leaves our washing smelling pretty

Our bosch Eco logi xx7 dryer leaves our washing smelling pretty awful - what is likely to be the problem please?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can I have the enr of the appliance please... Also, can you tell me what sort of smell.

Customer: WTW84560GB/09 FD 9009 200440
Customer: the smell I can only describe as like a musky/mouldy kind of smell?
George-Allsorts :

Let me so and see the structure of your apliance.. I will be back shortly

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me; does the water that is left in the container also smell at all?

Customer: Inot that I have noticed, but the smell is getting stronger from the dryer, I feel like I can smell it in the house when I walk in after being out. Also, it doesn't always seem to dry the load properly. Clothes are sometimes still a bit damp at the end of a drying cycle which always used to dry them completely.
George-Allsorts :

Looking at the diagrams for your appliance there does not seem to be anything unusual about the build...

Does the appliance aways pump water to the tank.. and is this water always clean?

Customer: as its condenser dryer, the compartment you empty after every cycle doesn't seem to have as much water in it as it used to and I haven't noticed the water that is emptied out being dirty or smelly.
Customer: I have noticed that the bit where all the fluff gathers just inside the door, and when the filter is removed it seems very damp under that, hope that makes sense to you.
George-Allsorts :

Thank you for the responses in such quick-time .. I need to ask you these question to work out what is going on

Customer: no problem
George-Allsorts :

Yes it does.. this is the part I am looking at currently.. I have a theory but I want to get to it later after a succession of a few more questions if you don't mind

Customer: no that's fine - fire away
George-Allsorts :

one moment.. i'm just looking at the diagrams again

George-Allsorts :

I can't find the bit the I need.. I'm going to opt out of this to enable someone else to assist you.. I may opt in again tomorrow once I have spoken to the manufacturers

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Is the washer actually working ok still?
If you open the door and peel the door seal back a bit were it lips onto the drum do you see any gunge or muck in there if you run your finger round it?
Also is the smell only on the dryer side?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a dryer only which works ok most of the time, but as I said to the last expert, sometimes clothes feel damp when I expect them to be dry.
The seal round the door opening is clean with no gunge or muck. It is dry now - just checked but has on occasion been a bit wet. I could tell as a bit of fluff was sticking to it and when I wiped that off it was wet. But that has on,y been on a couple of occasions.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
I had just relised it was a dryer only after I sent the reply.
Have you checked the condenser chamber at the bottom behind the panel. Its the pull out chamber which you can clean under a shower or outside tap?
As this dryer is what the call a heat pump dryer so it doesn't have a heater in it. Instead it uses a compressor just like a fridge but in opposite way. It uses the heater the condenser makes to dry the clothes so there isn't a heater in there so it relies on good air flow and clean filters other wise it blocks up inside and causes water to get trapped and fluff to get stuck in the middle of the condenser and start to smell.
If you are looking at fixing this yourself then it is a big job and a full strip down of the dryer.
What you need to do is remove the top and both side panels
Then remove the back panel and the drum.
Then you can remove the front panel and then the motor.
Then you are left with the condenser base and compressor.
You will see the condenser at the front there.
Take it out side and use a hose pipe and blast this clean. Becarefull as the base is very heavy due to the compressor in there.
Once its all clear rebuild the dryer and that should do the trick and clear the smell.
Im afraid its a very big job and full strip down. Its quite a common problem with these heat pump dryers as ive done a few before. Not always for the smell but for the not heating fault as if the condenser blocks up it affects the heat as well and it doesn't dry as good.
Now some engineers will just replace the base as its easyer then cleaning it. But if you are able to strip it down and clean it then it will save you a lot of money here.
If you need anymore info just get back to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you - just so I'm clear, top left is the drawer/condenser bit which collects water and we empty after every load. We have took the filters out of this and cleaned it.
As for the base bit, apparently this model is supposed to be self cleaning so there is no panel you can pull out at the bottom, so I'm assuming this is where you are saying it will need pulling apart completely?
If that is the case, how much will this cost? Is it worth actually doing or are we better off getting a new dryer?
My oh read up about using vinegar to rinse the system out which he did and this seemed to work, but 3-4 months down the line it is happening again so I'm assuming this will be a recurring problem until it is pulled apart and cleaned or we get a new one?
Appreciate your help
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Yeap its the bottom part I mean as that's the condenser chamber.
All you can do from the front is just wipe the front of it that's all.
As to a price for the fix. I would personally get a quote from Bosch direct due to the dryer it is as local companys may not have the experience of these heat pump dryers as they are not that common out there. But if you find one that can do it then if they can just clear it by stripping it down I would guess the labour may be about £100 roughly as its a few hours job.
But if you get Bosch they are a little more expensive but will do the job for you. Now when you ring them they may try and sell a policy for about £16 a month so its up to yourself if you choose that opition which isn't that bad to be honest as that's the fix and a full 12 month warrenty on it and they may just replace the base with a complete new one.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.