George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My washing machine is displaying a key, a picture of a door

My washing machine is displaying a key, a picture of a door and END. It beeps and no functions will work. I've tried turning it on and off, and unplugging it. This is probably because yesterday I tried to end the cycle early, and pressed lots of button in a panic (thought my mobile was in there) how can I fix it?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

What is the make and model of the appliance please?

JACUSTOMER-4w7hxl6u- :

Its a Samsung. I'm not sure of the model.

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me; is there water still in the appliance

JACUSTOMER-4w7hxl6u- :

Ooops sorry, it's not a Samsung it's a Siemens. There's no water in it now. I emptied it yesterday.

George-Allsorts :

OK.. Siemens... There is no water in it, but the display is showing a key, is this correct

JACUSTOMER-4w7hxl6u- :

Yes, that's right. A key, a picture of what looks like a door and END.

George-Allsorts :

And you definitely do not have the model number?

George-Allsorts :

Is the key flashing?

JACUSTOMER-4w7hxl6u- :

I can't remember if the key is flashing. I will go and get the model number and check the display again. This will take a few minutes as the machine is in a laundry room in the building, not directly in my flat.

George-Allsorts :

OK

JACUSTOMER-4w7hxl6u- :

The key isn't flashing, but it did flash briefly when I pressed the start button. The only thing is says on the front is Varioperfect. It was purchased in Germany.

George-Allsorts :

OK.. If you try to start a program.. ie. spin or drain, does the program start?

JACUSTOMER-4w7hxl6u- :

No matter what program I turn the dial to, it just beeps and shows the same display

George-Allsorts :

Then it seems that you have a fault with the door interlock..

George-Allsorts :

one moment please

George-Allsorts :

Is there a filter flap on the right hand bottom of your appliance?

JACUSTOMER-4w7hxl6u- :

Yes, there's certainly something there that looks like a flap.

George-Allsorts :

Can you open the flap and look to see if there is a red emergency door opener in there

George-Allsorts :

If so pull it downwards

George-Allsorts :

If the door opens then great.. you can then get the ENr number and FD number in order to purchase a new door lock

JACUSTOMER-4w7hxl6u- :

I can open the door now. It opens without a problem

George-Allsorts :

good... The ENr and FD are inside the door on a label

JACUSTOMER-4w7hxl6u- :

Is there nothing I can do to fix it without purchasing a new door lock?

George-Allsorts :

No.. If you continue to use the appliance without remedying the faulty lock then you could damage the main PCB

George-Allsorts :

If you get me the ENr and FD then I can give you the part number for the lock required and give you a link to purchase it with

JACUSTOMER-4w7hxl6u- :

Can it be fitted DIY (with instructions or assistance on here, or do I need a trained person to fit it.

George-Allsorts :

It is relatively easy to replace, with instruction... Cost of an engineer to do it for you is usually around the equivalent of £50 + parts

George-Allsorts :

Are you still in germany?

JACUSTOMER-4w7hxl6u- :

yes, I have a five year guarantee, is this likely to be covered?

George-Allsorts :

Yes.. This is usually covered as it is a failure of a physical part of the appliance

You can contact Bosch in Germany on #089-69339339

JACUSTOMER-4w7hxl6u- :

OK, thanks. I will do that then.

George-Allsorts :

You are welcome

Please remember to leave a rating using the smiley faces before you leave the page

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It turned out I had activated a child lock. I didn't need to replace the lock at all.

Hi Karen.. thanks for letting me know... That is great news... Did you manage to find the model number then.. If you did, write it in a piece of paper and selotape it to the side onf the machine. If you ever have a problem with the machine again, the model number is ***** available then.

regards
George