Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

DSFN1530 dishwasher. The salt runs out after only a few days

DSFN1530 dishwasher. The salt runs out after only a few days and the salt warning light is activated. This is happening every few days now over the last month or two.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Firstly is this a new problem or have you had it since you got the dishwasher?

Customer:

This is a recent problem.

Dales-Electronic :

OK generally there are only two things that cause this problem, either someone has adjusted the water softness setting which in turn causes more salt to be used or there is a problem with the salt container cap, ie it has not been tightened enough or the seal in the cap is missing/perished and needs replacing. Check these first and come back to me ~ Ian

Customer:

I have reset the softener setting to the water hardness in my area ( about mid range) and have checked the seal on the filler cap and there is no obvious deteriation. The cap seems to fit properly and is not cross threaded.

Dales-Electronic :

Finally, make sure that you use a decent quality salt ~ as an afterthought, two further questions, does the crockery taste salty and do you know what the salt is used for in the system?

Customer:

Using the same salt as we always have. Have not noticed any taste. Used for water softening, I went on the Affinity water website to get my water hardness rating. It was initially se too high but after reprogramming, there has been no noticeable improvement. But even when the setting was high, the salt usually lasted about 1 month, not a few days as is the case now.

Dales-Electronic :

OK let me explain how the water softener works, it has no internal connection to the dishwasher at all other than the filler cap. The salt is used to 'back flush' the resin beads held within the watersoftener which remove the desolved limescale/chalk that is held in suspension from the water supply. The back flushing drives a brine solution (ie water salt mix) through the beads flushing any deposits down the drain. The water softener is a sealed unit once the cap is placed on its filler area and works totally independent of the wash sequence. Are you using powder or tablets?

Customer:

Tablets

Customer:

I need to go out now but I will leave the session open but I will not be able to respond for about 2 hours, thanks.

Customer:

I am back if you have anymore information form me.

Dales-Electronic :

unless you can explain why you have given me a poor rating its not worth me continuing with this diagnosis, have a nice weekend I

Dales-Electronic :

~ Ian

Customer:

The reason I gave you a poor rating was that you did not resolve my problem or indicate anything else I could try or look at. If you can suggest anything which will help in resolving the problem I will be happy to give you a high rating.

Dales-Electronic :

OK well since you are using tablets which have a chemical water softener built into there makeup I would just stop using salt all together, the only other alternative is to replace the whole water softener assembly ~ hope that helps.

Customer:

OK, thank you for that information. I will try not using salt to start with and if I see any degradation in the cleanliness, I will take the next step.