George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

We have a Stoves Sterling 1000DF range cooker. Turning on

We have a Stoves Sterling 1000DF range cooker. Turning on the cooker for Sunday lunch, there is no electric power to the cooker. No fuse has tripped on the fuse board. Any thoughts?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Is there no power to the appliance at all, including the clock display?

Customer:

None. The clock display is out.

Customer:

Last week on turning on the cooker there was a small bang from the cooker which tripped the fuse in the fuse-box. On switching on the fuse, all power was restored and the cooker worked fine, though there was a small smell. Today on switching on the cooker, all power was lost but no fuse tripped. I pulled out the cooker and looked at the cooker power socket behind. It looked as if it did not contain a fuse, but I did not remove the cover. It is a double socket - half for the cooker switch and half is an ordinary 13amp socket, which has power to it.

George-Allsorts :

You say that you lost power today, was it immediate or did it start to heat first?

Customer:

My wife turned on the fan oven (she didn't notice then whether the fan came on or not). A few minutes later, having thought the oven would have warmed up, she went to put a chicken in - and the oven was cold, and no fan etc. So we think there was never any heat - but not absolutely certain...

Customer:

It is now 3.25 and I have to go. Have been waiting a long time for a reply.

George-Allsorts :

Hi, sorry about the delay, I was on my lunch.

Have you had any problems with the heat of the main oven before?

George-Allsorts :

Let me know when you are back and I can tell you what the problem is

Customer:

I wish you had told me you were going to lunch and would be offline for 90- minutes or so. I was sitting in front of the computer waiting for a reply and after 30 minutes gave up.

Customer:

Your question re the main oven - I did tell you it tripped the fuse a week ago which seemed to be the same problem. We have only been here 6 months and the cooker came with the house, but certainly we have had no problems at all until these last few days.

Customer:

I have now rung an oven repair guy to come to the house - we have visitors coming this week and need the oven to be repaired quickly. Not a good introduction to Just Answer.

George-Allsorts :

Yes, I understand you had already told me about last week... I was meaning actions on the actual day.

The problem is the inline fuse that is located inside the wiring at the rear of the cooker... Now, if your cooker hasn't got one (ie. it has already been removed), then it will be the clock itself. Also, there is a cause of this.. The cause is likely to be one of three things, heater element blown, Fan motor not working, or, Fan blades loose.

I can discuss this further with you if you wish

As for the introduction to JustAnswer, I'm sorry you feel this way... I think that I need to explain to you which way JA works... You give a problem and you will be asked questions relating to the problem until a diagnosis can be reached... If you are not available to give an answer to a question or the expert is not available due to lunch or some other reason, then the question sits on the board until a response is made.
I answer many questions, so when going on lunch, I ensure that there is a 5 min gap since the last response and then I go..

Customer:

An oven repair guy came today. The problem is the junction box on the back of the cooker where the electric cable comes in. The box is all charred and in part melted and wires have welded together. Is that the same as the 'inline fuse'? If so, you are correct - for which, thank you. Of course you must have your lunch break, especially on a Sunday. I just wish there was a way of telling people when going to be offline for a while.

George-Allsorts :

Sort of, the fuse is just above that, just after the wires. It is on the power inlet to the cooker to prevent the overheating from causing a fire.

Maybe I should make that suggestion to JA.. A button that marks the status of the expert as ON LUNCH.. That is actually a good idea.

George-Allsorts :

When I mention that there will be a cause... The shorting and melting wires will be the cause

Customer:

Thank you. Have uprated to OK service!