Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I Have an AEG L86810 washing machine. Just tried to use - no

I Have an AEG L86810 washing machine. Just tried to use - no power at all. Socket, power lead and plug are fine - power is going to the big capacitor bolted to the frame. All looks clean and neat - no sign or smell of overheating or water ingress. Is there a fuse or trip somewhere in the machine?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Theres no fuse in there or trip switch.
If the power is fine going to the washer then its more then likely the main power board at fault.
You will see the main board on the right hand side panel towards the front.
Remove this from the frame and remove the back plastic cover and from there see if theres any signs of it blowing. If so then the board will need to be replaced but you may also find the door lock will need to be replaced as these do like the blow and take the main board out on these washers. Ive seen this fault many times were the door lock fails and it causes the main board to blow and it cuts the power out to the washer.
So check that and see what you find. But if the board looks ok with no signs of burning then its still more then likely the board but the door lock wont have caused it to blow.
Check that out and see what you find and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Board looks fine - no sign of burning. You think it still needs to be replace though?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Ok if it looks all ok then disconnect the wiring block that goes from the main board to the front display board a few times as this can clean the contacts up and then retry it and see if it comes back on.
If its still the same then its more then likely the main board at fault. Now there is a slight chance it may be the front board. But to be honest its very rare they fail.
As when you get this fault were theres just nothing coming on its nearly always the main power board at fault here.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok so just ended up jiggling the contacts back and forth as I couldn't work out how the blocks come off. Turned power on and got a big bang and shower of sparks which fused the house! Burnt area on the circuit board now round the small connect at bottom right of circuit board. Would that be the door lock bit you were talking about earlier? Definitely needs a new main board now though!!

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Yeap as that's were the door lock wires go to.
So at the best it will need a new lock and main control board. Now in the past ive had it were its taken anything electrical out in there including the front board and the electronic pressure switch. But you wont know if these have failed until the main board and lock has been replaced.
So if after that it all lights up but th lights wont go out on the front or you cannot press any of them then it will have taken the front board out as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The machine is 11 years old - I can buy a new Bosch £100 more than the minimum cost of repairing this so I think I'll just cut my losses now!

Thanks help - much appreciated! At least I got to the root of the problem and was able to make an informed decision!