Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

the red warning light is on in my freezer, ive defrosted it

Customer Question

the red warning light is on in my freezer, ive defrosted it and cleaned everything but the light is still on any suggestions
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Can you post the make and model number please.
Also can you hear the compressor running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The model number is ***** and the product number is ********* Not sure about compressor...What does is sound like??? The food in it is still frozen and obviously the electric supply is still on. Its an under counter built in freezer so can't say I've ever heard a noise from it

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok if the red light is on its because its not reached the correct temperature in there as it should be around -18. If it starts to raise then that's when the red light comes on.
As this is a basic freezer ie not frost free its either down to the compressor itself or the condenser fan can cause this as the compressor overheats and doesn't work correctly.
To check im afraid you need to pull the appliance out and at the back at the bottom is the compressor. Its the black pot. Next to this is the condenser fan. Check this is running. If not then its that at fault here. But if that's running then its more then likely a weak compressor which will need to be replaced. But a compressor replacement isn't worth it as you are looking at about £250 for the fix so at that price its not worth it due to the age as well as its listed as a 2003 model.
Sorry its not looking like good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.