George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

our Lg washer keeps sticking whilst spinning when it

Hello our Lg washer keeps sticking whilst spinning when it gets to 9 mins on the digit display ?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you post the model number please

Customer: WD(M)-14220FD/14225FD
George-Allsorts :

Can you better describe to me what you mean by 'sticking'

Customer: It won't change down from 9to8to7 etc
George-Allsorts :

is the appliance draing?

George-Allsorts :

Draining

Customer: Yes
George-Allsorts :

Is it making a noise whilst doing so... ?

Customer: Yes
George-Allsorts :

Is the prin operating as normal? ie.. not jumping around, and, getting to the full speed that it should?

George-Allsorts :

spin

Customer: Machine moves around sometimes,does sometimes get noisy
George-Allsorts :

If you put the machine on spin with nothing in the drum, does it complete the spin cycle?

George-Allsorts :

Let me know when you have finished the Spin

Customer: Ok give me15 mins cheers
George-Allsorts :

No problem

Customer: Did a 1,000 spin it went through quietly and right through to the end ! Typical
George-Allsorts :

OK.. That's good.. it helps in diagnosing...

So, normally, what type of noise does it make whilst spinning?

Customer: Gets rather noiser then it used too-then other times it doesn't seem to get to real fast spinning-it is 10 or so years old and we've never had a problem with it :)
George-Allsorts :

When you just tried it was it actually quiet?

Customer: Yes
George-Allsorts :

OK... have you ever had the appliance motor serviced?

Customer: No. Never knew about that,would it be costly
George-Allsorts :

I have just checked and you have a direct drive motor.. I would have suspected the hall sensor on the motor but you have just told me that it spun correctly and quietly... (Still a suspect when loaded)

More of a suspect are the suspension struts of the appliance.. Causing the machine to bounce around and causing the balance sensor to react.

There are other causes that are more serious, but they would need an engineer to call to diagnosed those on sight.

Customer: Also it leaks water from the front middle underneath some times whilst rinsing ,is there a connection?-is the age of the machine worth the cost?
George-Allsorts :

Ahhh... Can you open the door, put your hand on the drum front edge, and try move it up and down... Tell me if there is any movement

Customer: No movement
George-Allsorts :

Then the leak could just be a worn seal.. If it is the seal then this is an inexpensive part

George-Allsorts :

Is the appliance stable on the floor... ie. doe all the feet touch the floor so there is no movement if you try to rock it

Customer: Yes all stable and touching the floor
George-Allsorts :

Then I would have the suspension struts checked... and if they are ok then I suggest that you call in an engineer to test the motor

George-Allsorts :

The machine is still a good machine with a replacement value of £500+

Customer: How do I get struts checked without having an engineer here first
George-Allsorts :

You can unplug the appliance and check the shockers for middle movement or weak up/down movement from the rear of the appliance

Customer: Ok will get hubby to try that tomorrow and then get a motor service done yeh?
George-Allsorts :

Get your hubby to check the struts/shocker .. If they are weak then replace them and there should then be no need to attend to the motor..

George-Allsorts :

Can I ask you to now take time to assist me by clicking on the smiley faces that you can now see... This will help me as it rates my assistance with your problems and it is the only way I get credited for the assistance given to you.. This will not cost you any more money.

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair