KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

I have a Bosch washing machine (Classixxx 1400 express), model

I have a Bosch washing machine (Classixxx 1400 express), model no.WFO2867GB/16.
The water is not heating up and remains cold throughout the wash. I think it is the element and have tracked one down, which is compatible with the machine. It'll cost about £25.00.
Would you have any idea how much it would cost to replace the old element? I want to avoid paying for a repair and then finding it would have been cheaper to buy a new machine.
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
KevinWhiteJA :

Hi, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

Customer:

about 10 years without any problem until now

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, if you want to be sure then you can test the element for continuity

KevinWhiteJA :

however, as everything else is fine and it is just the problem with not heating then it is the element that will need replacement

Customer:

OK. Do you have any idea what this might cost in labour?

KevinWhiteJA :

It is not difficult to replace the element, new element cost around £27 and you can buy it from here

KevinWhiteJA :

If you are still willing to get it done from a engineer it will cost around £110 including labor...you can also contact Bosch or www.repaircare.co.uk to get a repair quote

Customer:

OK. I'll bear that in mind, but having already paid your fee.plus will need to pay for the part, as well as pay £60 call-out fee, I'm close to spending a large percentage of what it'll cost for a new (less powerful and with smaller capacity) machine! What would you do, may I ask?

KevinWhiteJA :

Please check this Video, it will give you an idea on how to replace the element (in case if you decide to do that yourself) ... looking at the age of the washer of course it is fine to spend like £30 for parts as it might work for another 2-3 years however, it is not worth to spend like £100

Customer:

Thank you Kevin. I have watched - and understood - the video but, alas, fear that I do not have the strength to remove all the bits before getting at the element (I'm 78) or to remove the machine from under the work surfaces. I think you have convinced me to plunder my pension and invest in a new machine. Thank you very much for your help.

KevinWhiteJA :

You're welcome....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance.... Have a Nice Evening