George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Whirlpool 6th sense fridge freezer and a pool of water

I have a Whirlpool 6th sense fridge freezer and a pool of water has appeared on the right hand side of the unit. How can I retify this?
Terry
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello Terry, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you give me the full model number.

Customer: Hi George,
Customer: where would I find the model number, I have a number on the receipt w/pool SBS F/freezer. 20RB D3L BL does that help?
George-Allsorts :

You can find the model number in the fridge on the label at the side of the salad bowls

George-Allsorts :

20RBD3L is an American Style fridge freezer..

George-Allsorts :

Is that yours?

Customer: Model SB540W
George-Allsorts :

OK thanks ..

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me exactly where you are finding the water pools?

Customer: It flows to the front on the right! I have pulled the unit out and it appears to be in the middle of the unit on the right.
George-Allsorts :

So this is in the fridge yes?

Customer: Outside the fridge on the floor.
George-Allsorts :

ok.. outside the fridge..

Is it directly in-front of the fridge door then?

Customer: Yes, the pool appears there but it looks like it originates from under the fridge on the right and halfway between the front and back.
George-Allsorts :

There is two places that the water can come from.. inside or behind..

Have you found any water under the trays inside the fridge?

Customer: There is no water under the trays inside the fridge, could it have something to do with the defrost tray, it mentions the defrost tray in the instructions but doesn't show where to find it?
George-Allsorts :

OK.. that was my next question ... If there is no water under the trays on the inside of the fridge, can you pull the fridge out to see if the defrost tray on top of the compressor is full

George-Allsorts :

The compressor is the black round shaped motor at the rear of the appliance

Customer: Is that behind the metal plate on the rear of the fridge at the bottom?
George-Allsorts :

yes... also, whilst you have the plate off, check to make sure that the tube that comes out of the fridge is aiming into the tray and has not fallen out, as this would cause the defrosting to wet the floor if the hose is not in the tray

Customer: Just checking
Customer: There is some water in the tray but I can see water dripping from the pipe that goes into the water filter.
George-Allsorts :

OK.. Good spotting

George-Allsorts :

is the tube actually damaged?

Customer: I took the tube out ant the dripping seamed to stop, so what I am going to do is order a new water filter but in the meantime switch the water supply off to the fridge.
Customer: thank you for your help George, I found it very useful. Let's hope that resolves the issue.