Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

How do you solve a noisey dovre electric stove

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

Hello My name is Ian ~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting for responses to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Can you give me the model number please ~ thanks ~ Ian

Customer:

Dovre Electric Model 500e.

Dales-Electronic :

Good afternoon, this is obviously quite and old model and having spoken to the UK distributor of this Manufacturer they advise that this model is no longer supported. The only thing I can suggest is that you take out what is likely to be a noisy fan assembly and see if you can get either new bearings fitted or find a motor that will replace it. Dovre Belgium are not likely to be interested in your problem but if you can post a picture I may be able to get an oven motor to fit and replace the existing ~ Ian

Customer:

Thanks for that. I understand the situation because I have had this appliance for 14 years. I will send a picture but I will be unable to do so quickly because I shall have to dismantle the fire to access the part. Are you able to wait for a few days to enable me to do that?

Dales-Electronic :

Yes that is fine, what you might try before we go down the replacement route is get some high temperature and see if you can grease the phosphor bronze bearings, these are made out of PB powder mixed with lubricant and then under pressure moulded into bearings, sometimes you can get away with just regreasing ~ Ian

Dales-Electronic :

sorry typo ~ high temperature grease ~

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** give it a go.

Dales-Electronic :

In the meantime if you could rate my service, this will allow me to close down this call whilst at the same time allowing you to come back when you are ready to go on a free of charge basis. Ian

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have now taken photographs of the motor, which I attach.

The motor is made by RotaLink, telephone number 01460 72000. The model number is ***** They have been as helpful as they can. They do not hold stocks of any items but make to order for the trade. They last made this part for a company called Microcell on 2008, Microcell's telephone number was 020 896 93935 but the number is ***** longer recognised, so they may have gone out of business.

The other identification marks on the motor are:-

240V. 50HZ

PO. 5494

C J98

In taking the photographs I have placed a box of tissues and two £ coins to give you an idea of scale. All the motor does is turn the wire rod, to which is attached some Christmas tinsel, which then provides the flickering flame effect. The rod seems to be firmly attached to the motor.

I hope this gives you the information which might assist us.

Thanks,

David

OK could you do me a favour, we may be able to use something else here but I need to be able to see the end of the motor where is connects into the tinsel looking thing. The motor is similar to that used in modern combination ovens and if you are happy to experiment, likely we can find something that will work ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ian,

I have managed to remove the tinsel rod, it was only a push fit. Hope this gives you the view you require.

David

Can you let me know if there is a locking pin or a slight offset to lock the rod in place?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The tinsel rod is simply attached with a rubber sleeve that connects to the 'stub axle' shown in the pictures attached.

OK can you give me a rough diameter of the stub?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it's about 7mm.

OK I'll see what I can find and come back to you ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for looking into it. If you can't find anything I could remount the existing motor in the fire using some sound insulation between the fixing points.

OK I have one that may fit, if you post me an address I will send it to you in the post and you can see if you can get it to fit ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Fantastic news. Let me know how much the item and p&p are and I will settle up with you, whether it fits or not.

***** *****

Ashton Farm

Aston Lane

Oker

Matlock

Derbyshire

DE4 2JP

OK David I will get the thing boxed up and across to you, if it works fine if not we can continue looking. You can buy me a beer when we have the show on the road ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ian,

Nothing arrived as yet but I don't know when the thing was despatched.

Thanks,

David

Fired it off to you on Saturday David, if it doesn't arrive by tomorrow give me a ping and I'll send you another ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ian,

Sorry, but nothing has arrived as yet.

David

OK I will send you another on Monday no worries ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ian,

Still nothing has arrived. Do you want to check the address or is this all a bit of a con.

David

I'm sorry David ~ I had to go away and have only just got back I have sent of 3 of these motors today you should be getting them by at the latest Wednesday ~ certainly not a con when You are getting them for free !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ian,

Sorry, I just thought that as the part hadn't arrived yet it might be unlikely to.

Happy to pay a bonus when it gets here.

Thanks,

David

lets get these motors to you and see if they do the job first ~ Ian
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ian,

It's 11:00am on Saturday and still nothing has arrived.

David

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Are you ever going to send anything or are you just stringing me along. My fire has now been out of use for over a month? If you are unable to solve the problem just say so and pocket the £16 I sent you.

David

David - whilst I appreciate your frustration, sofar I have sent You three packages the last with the final two motors I have, this has cost me in P&P far in excess of the £16 you refer to. As a further point, the £16 does not come to me it is collected by JA who pay me considerably less.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ian,

I have today received one of the three packages, containing two motors. I do not know what happened to the other two packages that you said were despatched. One of these motors would appear to do the job, so I shall try to fit one.

I apologise for my frustration and would like to reimburse you for your expenditure.