Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

freezer e-nr, 4 years old frost free, stored in garage no

Customer Question

freezer e-nr, 4 years old frost free, stored in garage no previous problems. temp w/light on, temp display 18 degrees flashing.will not run up to temp required

Any answers yet please ?

Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

Can you confirm the manufacturer and ENr if you can find it please, secondly is the motor (compressor) running?

JACUSTOMER-gmmon9zm- :

I can confirm that the compressor is running o.k.

JACUSTOMER-gmmon9zm- :

The make is Siemens, model ref is E-NR GS 24NV23 GB/01 F D SCC7 00063

Dales-Electronic :

Fine if you put your hand on the small pipe that comes out of the compressor is it warm?

JACUSTOMER-gmmon9zm- :

don't now about individual pipes, but have had an electric warm air blower applying heat to the rear of the freezer.

JACUSTOMER-gmmon9zm- :

we have now unloaded all food from the freezer,and left the unit switched off. we intend to restart this evening, and let it run again to see if it comes up to the required temperature.

Dales-Electronic :

OK that is fine but I will still need you to tell me if the compressor is actually pumping the gas around and this is how you can tell me. I am here rest of the day.

JACUSTOMER-gmmon9zm- :

The warning lights are still the same. the compressor is warm, the first 2 inches of the thin black pipe that feeds to the top of radiator is slightly warm at the bottom,at the top the pipe is cold. listening close to the cabinet, there is a slight hum, which appears to come from the pipework. when the door is opened it shuts off, but starts up again when the door is closed.

Dales-Electronic :

OK the hum you hear is the internal fan running, its switches off when the door is opened, Can you just confirm that the refrigerant used is listed on the compressor as R600a?

JACUSTOMER-gmmon9zm- :

On an orange label, with a yellow/black triangle it does say R600a.

Dales-Electronic :

OK if you open the door with the fan now silent and the compressor can you hear a constant hissing?

JACUSTOMER-gmmon9zm- :

I can confirm - no hissing sound.

Dales-Electronic :

sorry forgot to add the compressor should be running but the fan inside off (door open) have you still not got any hissing?

JACUSTOMER-gmmon9zm- :

How do I know if the compressor is running ?

Dales-Electronic :

You should be able to put you hand on it and feel the vibration

JACUSTOMER-gmmon9zm- :

Yes - compressor is running o.k.

Dales-Electronic :

Hissing Yes/No?

JACUSTOMER-gmmon9zm- :

No hissing - vibration only.

Dales-Electronic :

OK the problem is that your appliance has lost all of its refrigerant, this may have been over a period of time or alternatively one of the pipes has developed a leak. This is very common in R600a systems as the refrigerant is much thinner than used in the pre CFC/HCFC days. You will need to get a domestic appliance engineer in to have a look at the system , he should be able to carry out 'system repairs' and should be able to repair and recharge the appliance with refrigerant . Im sorry this is not a diy project, it need specialised knowledge and equipment. If you need a recommended engineer I can give you a link to a reputable list engineers if you give me your postcode. Could you now rate my service to you using the smiley faces below, once this is done I can answer all further questions on a foc basis. ~~ Ian

JACUSTOMER-gmmon9zm- :

A name of an engineer would be helpful - post code is DE 65 6HP

Dales-Electronic :

OK hold on a moment and i'll get you a local guy

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My postal code is - DE65 6HP A list of local engineers, who have knowledge on Siemens product would be be helpful....... Many thanks your help.

Ok try these two both do system work ~ Ian Clifton. Safeay Electrics 01773 540070 or Tony Preece APP Electrical Services 01400 282114