Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have an Indesit PWE 8148 Washing Machine. It has started

I have an Indesit PWE 8148 Washing Machine. It has started to 'rattle' when it runs.
I can move the drum forwards and backwards quite a lot.
It's not the weight of the load as it's only started happening within the last week or two.
I've removed the top and back and the drum is still attached to the springs and there is no movement at the bearing so that's not worn.
Any ideas?
All the springs at the top and 'pistons' at the bottom are still attached to the drum.
There is a lot of grease on the 'piston arms' so could these need replacing?
Thanks in advance help
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok so if you hold the metal drum inside at the front at the bottom and try and lift it up and down there no movement in there is this correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Daniel T

Correct, no movement up and down, just the whole drum front to back

Danny

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Additional Information:

The concrete weight at the top moves around 100mm front to back

I have to go out now and won't be back till later this afternoon so no great rush answer

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok front to back is fine as long as theres no movement up and down then the bearings will be fine.
As you have checked the suspension legs and springs and they are fine then its possibley loose concrete weigths.
Remove the top of the washer and you will see the top weight there. Tigthen the bolts on there.
Then you need to check the front weight. Now to do this you need to lean the washer backwards against a wall and open the door and remove the metal clamp around the front of the door seal and peel the seal back of the cabinet.
Then look down the inside of the front and you will see the front weight. Again go over these bolts and make sure they are tight.
Also not sure if you have checked the filter but remove this and check there isn't anything in there getting caught in the pump impeller.
Then retry the washer and see how it goes from there.
Let me know how it goes.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok if theres movement on the top weight then that will more then likely be the cause. So tighten them up and see what happens and let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll let you know how it goes

Thanks help

have a good Weekend

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
No worries. Have a good one yourself :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just an update .

All the bolts are tight. There were a few bits of 'lint' in the filter with some threads but the blades could spin. I've removed these.

We'll do a wash later today but as long as the thing keeps washing (and I'm 100% sure the bearing is ok) I won't worry about it too much now.

Thanks help. Always nice to talk to someone who knows what they are doing and can install a little confidence in what I can do

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Your very welcome on the help.
Just monitor and see how it goes and if you do need anymore help or info just get back to me. Even after rating thee answer you can still get back to me on this one as that's not a problem.