KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

Kevin, I have a whirlpool ADG 9540 dishwasher which has

Customer Question

Kevin, I have a whirlpool ADG 9540 dishwasher which has been working fine.. Yet on Friday when I press the start button it doesn't to anything..
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 1 year ago.
Customer:

, welcome to Just answer

Customer:

How old is it ?

JACUSTOMER-1u1hqz6r- :

It's about 8 years I think

Customer:

OK, is it completely dead or the control lights up ?

JACUSTOMER-1u1hqz6r- :

The controls light up, you can select the different washes. I have switched it off and on a few times and I can hear the start button making a click when you press it as usual so the button isn't stuck.

Customer:

OK, so the control lights up and you select start and then it wont do anything...wont even fill with water and there are no flashing lights .. no beeps ?

JACUSTOMER-1u1hqz6r- :

that's right.. the program selection light comes on.. when you press start the start light or the part of the cycle lights do not come on.. it does not start to fill up and there are no beeps..

Customer:

OK, have you tried to clean the drain pump assembly ?

JACUSTOMER-1u1hqz6r- :

haven't tried that..

JACUSTOMER-1u1hqz6r- :

it that pretty straight forward.. I looked at the little basket at the bottom of the washer but that is empty with no food or anything caught in it.

Customer:

ok, with the dishwasher unplugged, pull it out and tip it towards its back by around 45 degrees to see if water comes off ... then plug it back and check if there is a difference...let me know how it goes

JACUSTOMER-1u1hqz6r- :

okay.. they don't appear to be the easiest things to shift though..

JACUSTOMER-1u1hqz6r- :

I can't get the washer out on my own.. is there another way of checking without pulling it out?

Customer:

OK, no problem... I understand...do you also hear any different sounds when it tries to start ?

JACUSTOMER-1u1hqz6r- :

no sounds at all when you press start.

Customer:

OK, you can try to pull it out later with some help...if that won't help then I believe it is the door interlock or the motor itself that is bad and will need replacement...as the lights on control come on so it means that is fine, a new motor will cost around £140 and a new door lock will cost around £40

Customer:

when you turn the dishwasher on, the control will sense that door is closed through the door lock mechanism, if the door interlock is bad it wont tell the control and so it wont start the cycle...so I believe it is more likely a bad interlock..looking at the age of this appliance it might be better to clean it completely before you try to replace anything

JACUSTOMER-1u1hqz6r- :

Is the interlock something which can easily be checked, i.e. is it under the front panel? I have listened to see if there is anything broken but doesn't sound like there is.

Customer:

Please check this Video it will give you an idea on how to check the door lock

JACUSTOMER-1u1hqz6r- :

perfect.. I'll take a look and see if that solves it..

Customer:

OK, You can get back to me if you need any assistance and I will help with no additional charges.....– please use the REPLY link assistance..Please remember to RATE my answer Excellent or Good Service when you are satisfied....Thanks

JACUSTOMER-1u1hqz6r- :

many thanks.. I'll come back either way and then put the rating in.

Customer:

You're welcome....Excellent feedback is appreciated if you are satisfied with my assistance.... Have a Good Evening