George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Neff U1721N2 oven: need to replace failed heating element and

Neff U1721N2 oven: need to replace failed heating element and have removed both sets of screws at end of element. Discovered fifth screw just visible behind fan, which supports centre of element. Fan proving difficult to remove: have takn off LH threaded bolt and shaped washer... how do I then remove fan? Thanks. Paul.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Paul, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available

In order to get the fan blade off it is quite often necessary to heat the blade with a burner to make it expand away from the shaft... Please be careful not to heat the shaft itself too much as that will damage the bearing, but heat the area surrounding the shaft and remove the blade with a pair of pliers.

Customer:

Will try with a paint stripper hot air blower, rather than a gas gun! I'll let you know if its' successful.

George-Allsorts :

Gas gun is better.. but heat about 2" away from the shaft, and heat in circles surrounding the shaft 20 seconds.. wait 30 seconds, then try removing it by wiggling it

Customer:

I'd sprayed with WD40 this morning and when I got home was ab;le simp[ly to grip the centre boss of the fan and pull it off the shaft... no heat, no drama!

George-Allsorts :

Good news

George-Allsorts :

Please remember to clean all the WD40 from all surfaces as this could cause a fire when heated.

Remember the heat response use.. as this will allow you to remove the fan immediately.