Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Neff built in oven. I changed both of the bulbs

Customer Question

I have a Neff built in oven. I changed both of the bulbs in the bottom oven today (correct oven type). This evening after about thirty mins there was a loud pop and the oven went off tripping the RCD. I re-set the RCD and now only the top oven works and also none of the panel indicators (bottom oven and time) are on apart from the ones giving the temp of the top oven.
Please advise, thanks in advance Mark Tebbutt
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Can you post the model number please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

U1661

Now the oven has cooled one of the replaced bulbs has blown.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Ok and now its cooled down has the display main oven come back on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Ok if something went pop and tripped the rcd then it may be the main oven electronic unit at fault.
What you need to do is pull the oven out and remove the top. There you will see the control units. Check the main oven one and see if theres any signs of burning on there. As sometimes if tis blown you will see it.
But then you need to find the cause of it. May be worth removing the light cover inside the oven and then you can remove the housing light fitting and check the wiring on there. As what may have happened is when you screwed the bulb in the fitting may have twisted a bit and caused the wires to touch the cabinet and short out. I would start with the bulb that's not working now as that may be the culprit.
But if the timer control looks ok then you need to remove the back panel and on the back of the oven is the thermal cut out. It will be in the wiring loom going from the mains supply to the timer control. It will have 2 wires going to it. Check this with a multimeter and see if faulty. If so then you need to replace that and see how it goes.
So if the power is ok then its either the thermal cut out or the timer control unit at fault here as only them two things will cause this kind of fault.
So check them out and see what you find and let me know.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

,

thanks answer. I am not confident in carrying out your suggested investigations. Given the age of the appliance and the costs of employing an engineer, possible parts and labour. Do you think it may be a better option to replace with a new oven?

regards ***** *****

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
If the timer has blown then to be honest its going to be an expensive repair so if its an older model then its possibley not worth fixing and better to just replace it as Neff parts are very expensive im afraid.