Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a CDA washer/dryer (C19701N) and a leg pair of tights

I have a CDA washer/dryer (C19701N) and a leg pair of tights has gone through one of the small holes in the drum whilst on a wash cycle and is caught fast. I don't want to pull too fiercely and shred them as I don't know if they could possibly be trapped and tightening behind the drum! Any advice on how to free them and checking there no further damage caused. Help you can help.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 2 years ago.
Dales-Electronic :

~ I am not on the site constantly so please be patient whilst waiting to you queries

Dales-Electronic :

OK how handy are you with tools?

Customer:

not handy at all

Customer:

Can you help

Dales-Electronic :

OK well if I tell you what has likely happened I guess you have two options ~ from what you have said the tights will have got tangled around the heater element in the bottom of the drum (other side of the stainless tub) You need to take out this heater element (or get someone to do it ) the second one which I don't recommend is you cut the tights at the point where they go through the hole and see if the tub now turns freely. I am here so come back to me with your questions.

Customer:

The tub is turning freely now, could they just be caught in the hole and not gone anywhere else? there seems to be some length in the tights.

Dales-Electronic :

Yes that could be the case, if you look at the outside of the stainless steel tub, you cant see it, but it looks like a cheese grater. You will do little damage to the tub if you try and wiggle them back through ~ if they are cut off the worst that will happen is that any bits left will go into the filter and you can check this over the next few washes ~ Ian

Customer:

If I can't wriggle them free, how do I go about locating the heater element? the machine is integral.

Dales-Electronic :

Yes this will entail taking it out of its housing and getting at the heater, not an easy job if you don't know what you're doing, try cutting the tights off as near to where they go through the hole and pushing that jammed through between the tub and drum

Customer:

Sorry could you clarify - pushing that jammed through between the tub and drum - not sure what you mean?

Dales-Electronic :

OK cut off the tights where they pass through the stainless steel tub, Once this is done with a screwdriver or similar push whatever is left stuck in the hole through so that it is between the steel tub and the outer drum

Customer:

Thanks help, with give it a go.

Dales-Electronic :

I'll be here until you get finished just ping when you want further help ~ Ian

Customer:

I have cut off as suggested and pushed what was left through the hole.

Dales-Electronic :

OK is the stainless steel tub free?

Customer:

Yes spins quite freely

Dales-Electronic :

OK what I would do now is put it on to a rinse program and let it go through, once everything is finished check the filter if you can get at it and check . Once you have done this come back to me ~ Ian

Customer:

will do

Customer:

Have run rinse program as suggested and checked the filter, there was nothing resembling remains of tights just a very small amount of the usual debris.

Dales-Electronic :

OK looks like you got away with just keep an eye on the filter from time to time and you should be OK from here onwards ~ if you could now rate my service by using the smiley faces below this allows me to shut down the job but you can subsequently ask further questions free of charge ~ Im here rest of the evening if you want further advice ~ Ian

Customer:

Thanks help. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

Dales-Electronic :

Thank You rating ~ Ian

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.