George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

The cupboard above my neff oven has suddenly gone brown and

The cupboard above my neff oven has suddenly gone brown and I have occasionally noticed condensation on the cupboard. Does this mean the door seal has gone or is it more likely a problem with the temperature? The oven has occasionally cut out when it has been on time or I have turned the temperature up high.

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Good afternoon, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you describe to me the type of kitchen layout you have in relationto the oven fitment please

George-Allsorts :

Can you also give me the full ENR and FD from the rating plate in the oven

Customer:

The oven is a built in double oven with a 50mm 'filler' piece above it and then a cupboard over that. Both the filler piece and the lower part of the cupboard door have gone brown and 'bubbled'.

Customer:

end 01461w0gb/05. Fd 8201

Customer:

Sorry - 'end' should read enr

Customer:

I have had the oven and kitchen cupboards since 2002

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me... Have you also noticed the knobs on the fascia getting hot?

Customer:

I noticed it once but I'm using the oven now and they're not hot.

George-Allsorts :

My initial thoughts where that the door seal or the door hinge was at fault causing heat to escape from the door, however, having looked at the style of the oven I now think this is unlikely as the heat would need to go a long way before hitting the cabinets.

George-Allsorts :

My thought are surrounding the heat created within the cabinet of the appliance and therefore I want you to check whether the cabinet cooling fan is operational... You can test this by turning on the oven mins and then turning it off... The cabinet cooling fan should continue to run once the oven has been turned off

George-Allsorts :

How are you getting on with testing the cavity cooling fan?

Customer:

Sorry had to go out. Will test it now.

Customer:

The oven is still humming after I have turned it off.

George-Allsorts :

I need to know is it humming at the top or lower down

George-Allsorts :

And, can you feel air blowing through the cavity above each door after each oven has been switched off

Customer:

I have tested them both - I can feel the warm air coming out of the bottom oven but not the top one

George-Allsorts :

And therein lies the problem... The cavity cooling fan, or the thermostat that controls it has failed... This is causing extreme heat to cascade around the cavity of the oven and radiate through the steel to the cabinets...

This will also be the cause of the cutting out that you have reported

George-Allsorts :

I would normally give you the part number of the failed item, but in this case I wont, as the difference between the possible failed parts can be as much as £100.. So you will need to get an engineer to test the thermostat and the fan, to find which one has caused the problem

Customer:

Thank you very much.