George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a hoover when 855 d It goes through wash cycle

I have a hoover when 855 d It goes through wash cycle of, then after a while I get F03 up having looked at other issues stuff in the filter, the pump etc all of which were fine I replaced the pressure switch but to no avail, any ideas as to what it could be
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Does the pump work efficiently with no excess noise?

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

Yes no problem

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

It goes through first part of wash cycle, fills then pumps out, then resumes turning without any water in shortly after that within two minutes F03 pops up and all stops

George-Allsorts :

Try the tube that fits into the bottom of the pressure switch... blow down it to see if it is partially blocked, then replace it and try again.

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

I did blow through it and it was clear but required a bit of puff, if slightly restricted will this cause the problemishes, I don't know if it sheds any light on it but the machine was left with some powder in itvwhilst we were away few weeks and it took quite a bit of clearing out as it had gone almost solid

George-Allsorts :

The error code F03 can come few reasons... Very rarely it can be an earth leak from a heater that causes the disruption, but mostly the problem is a result of a problem with the operation of the pump (Taking too long to drain or mot draining), or, a problem with the pressure switch or the hose that leads to it...

There is a chamber at the base of the tube that also can get clogged up with fluff or debris... Soap powder is also a problem if it is allowed to solidify

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

I have taken the tube of and flew through and ran water through and there are no restrictions, it appears to connect to a chamber as you say but it is all once plastic piece mounted to the drum and surrounding it, I cannot see anyway of getting access other than trying to separate it from the whole of the drum, am I missing something

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

I have put it all back together and still not working. The problem seems to be listening that it fills fine, washes fine, then emptys no problem, it then seems to turn very long time with no water in ther, should it call at this point and if so would the fact it isn't getting any cause the problem, in which case is it the water inlet valve? Seems strange as fills of at first.

George-Allsorts :

Is the pump running all the time that the drum is turning at this point?

George-Allsorts :

and, can you get me the 31 code from the label inside the door please

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

Yes the pump is running all the time the drum is turning until the fo3 shows where by everything stops

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

The code is. 31004778

George-Allsorts :

Then the appliance is, in short, thinking that water is still in the drum

George-Allsorts :

One moment whilst I look at the information appliance

George-Allsorts :

A Hoover WYDN 855D-80, is that correct

George-Allsorts :

Sorry, WDYN 855D-80

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

Yes that's correct

George-Allsorts :

Just had a look at the information relating to faults machine and this is what F03 is described as

E:03
The Water Drain Phase was not completed within the designed limit time.
Clogged Filter, Drain Pump, Drain Hose, Wall Discharge and/or Wiring.

George-Allsorts :

Does it go into full spin?

George-Allsorts :

Forget that

George-Allsorts :

It wont go into full spin whilst it thinks there is water in the appliance

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

Strange as I have each part out and cleaned, filter, pump as you have shown and the water has drained away because when I open the small drain hose at the bottom following the fault which is next to the filter there is hardly a drop left, half a cup full at best.

George-Allsorts :

All indications point to either too much water still in the drum, a blockage between the drum and the pressure switch, or, a faulty pressure switch or its wiring to the board

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

I can get to spin by turning of to wipe fault code, then by turning to spin where by it spins fine

George-Allsorts :

Have a look at the chamber at the bottom of the pressure switch hose

George-Allsorts :

alternatively, try another pressure switch

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

I have checked the connections and replaced the pressure switch but no joy, could it be the board itself or are they quite realiabe

George-Allsorts :

it could be a broken wire between the pressure switch and the board.. but unless the board is blown then the boards are pretty reliable

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

The chamber at the bottom has no access to it as I can see, it is part of a larger plastic housing mounted to the drum around the perimeter

George-Allsorts :

The and can you not remove the larger housing ?

George-Allsorts :

Also, check the wires between the board and the pressure switch with a multimeter

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

I will give it a try thank you

George-Allsorts :

OK... Let me know what you find

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

No joy the wires all buzzed through so no breaks so it must be the board?

George-Allsorts :

Or a blockage to wards the pressure switch or the pressure switch itself

George-Allsorts :

E:03

Clean the chamber.. clean the pipe..

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

I have replaced the switch and made sure the tube/hose is completely clear, everything I can get into is spotless so can't see what else it can be

George-Allsorts :

If the pressure switch cannot detect an empty drum then it will not spin... I am almost certain that you are going to find sludge in the pressure chamber on the drum

George-Allsorts :

suck gently on the pressure switch to see if any sludge has blocked the entrance... not too hard or you'll damage the pressure switch

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

Thank you it looks quite a job to get into as it is a one piece moulded part, from what I can see I would have to pull the drum out to access

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

The pressure switch is new and I haven't tried this so I am assuming the switch being new is fine

George-Allsorts :

OK.. do something , as I presume you didn't do it earlier...

Take all the leads off the heating element... cover them, then try see what happens

George-Allsorts :

As I said earlier, the only other thing that'll cause this is an earth leak on the heater or the dryer heater

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

Will give it a go

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. let me know how you get on

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

Morning

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

I did as you suggested but i am afraid no joy, it still thinks theres water in it, like you i think it must be the pressure chamber at the bottom, shame they make it a pig to get into

George-Allsorts :

Yes, it is not easy.. All the ones I have dealt with have had a pressure chamber that is push fit and then have two screws to hold the chamber in... but it is a side view so really difficult to see...

You can take the hose off the chamber and use a pipe-cleaner or something similat to enter from that point

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

Will give it a try

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. let me know how you get on

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

Latest update

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

i thought id try again with a wash cycle before stripping it all back down again and now the problem only occurs every other cyle.

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

The shortest program is 59minutes, i run it through and still the same fault code part way through, but now if i turn of the machine, re set the dial to 59mins again the program runs through fine to the end without any fault

George-Allsorts :

Is that after clening the pressure chamber?

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

No

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

but i did run some cleaner through on a cyke

George-Allsorts :

Then I am now certain that the problem is with the pressure chamber

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

Thank you your help

JACUSTOMER-jovrtuza- :

i agree

George-Allsorts :

Advice... Put the appliance on another wash... Once full of water with cleaner in it, turn it off.. Leave it overnight to soak, then continue the wash