KevinWhiteJA
KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Worked on appliances for more than 15 years
70193065

I have an electolx ew1200 washer/dryer. When it arrives at

I have an electolx ew1200 washer/dryer. When it arrives at the spin part of the cycle it just gives a short burst (less than 1 second) of the fast spin then it stops. otherwise the machine sounds and operates OK.
Any ideas on the cause of the problem?
Don
Expert:  KevinWhiteJA replied 2 years ago.
KevinWhiteJA :

Don, welcome to Just answer

KevinWhiteJA :

How old is it ?

KevinWhiteJA :

have you also cleaned the drain hose connecting the pump

Customer:

I have cleaned the general filter but have not cleaned the drain hose as the machine is draining ok. the problem is it does not spin?

KevinWhiteJA :

ok and how old is it ?

Customer:

we acquired it as a fitted appliance when we bought the house. do ypu know where on the machine the age would be shown. I would estimate 5 years plus

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, as everything else works fine I believe either something is stuck in the drain pump/hose causing this issue or the pressure switch hose requires cleaning

KevinWhiteJA :

with the washer unplugged...pull it out and then remove the top of the washer

KevinWhiteJA :

Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

check this image...part#12 is the pressure switch

KevinWhiteJA :

clean the thin hose attached to it

Customer:

I can do that but it will take me a lillte time.I assume the most likely cause to be a problem with the electronic unbalance

Customer:

sorry,i pressed the wrong button. I assumed the most likely cause to be the electronic unbalance detection device.

KevinWhiteJA :

no problem...I believe cleaning the thin pressure switch hose and the drain hose should solve this problem

Customer:

if I try your solution first does this chat session stay open indefinately or is there a way I can contact you again? thanks don

KevinWhiteJA :

Yes, you can get back through the email that you will receive or leave this open and you can get back here later on

Customer:

I have taken the top off the machine. there is no obvious pressure switch and hose. it is hard to tell from the exploded diagram you sent where about in the machine it is. do I need to remove the electronic control panel to access it? if so what do I need to disconnect/unclip to remove the electronics?

KevinWhiteJA :

Part#12 is the pressure switch...usually located towards the right looking from the front

KevinWhiteJA :

Full Size Image

KevinWhiteJA :

this is how it appears

Customer:

yes I have located the pressure switch that has a plastic tube off the bottom of it going into the machine. however there is no length in the tube to allow the pressure switch to be lifted out. in order to get at the tube to see if it is blocked. to get access I think I need to remove the electronic control panel which is connected to the control knob on the front. is this the likely way to do it and if so how do I disconnect the electronic board?

KevinWhiteJA :

You can just remove the small tube from the switch and blow through it ... make sure both switch and tube is clean

Customer:

yes with a little perseverance I managed to blow through it and it was clear. put it all back together but still exhibiting the same problems. will need a new pressure switch?

KevinWhiteJA :

and you are sure that everything is clean with drain pump/hose

Customer:

when the machine is full of water and it gets to the empty cycle the drum empties really quickly. I have not tried to remove any drain hoses.

KevinWhiteJA :

ok and what happens when you set it to spin only with nothing in it

KevinWhiteJA :

I mean does it spin properly ?

Customer:

it rotates slowly bit then when it starts to spin quickly it stops after about a second

KevinWhiteJA :

ok and do you hear any different kind of sounds ?

KevinWhiteJA :

while its in spin

Customer:

no it sounds like it normally does with a wirring sound that goes louder when it speeds up

KevinWhiteJA :

OK, you can pull it out and try to clean the pump and hose....if something is blocking there, also check to make sure that carbon brushes in the motor are not worn out...the water might still drain however, will cause this issue...if cleaning it completely wont help and the brushes are fine.. then replace the pressure switch

Customer:

thanks help.

KevinWhiteJA, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Worked on appliances for more than 15 years