Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have caple downdraft hood. It powers on okay and all buttons

I have caple downdraft hood. It powers on okay and all buttons light up like expected. The issue is that when I function the fan in option 1, 2, 3 or 4 the fan does not spin enough to open the extraction vent flaps. Does this sounder like a fan or pcb issue? If I lift up the vent flaps manually the fan is spinning, just not fat enough in any of the settings.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear that.
This sounds like a bad fan motor.
If the fan never spins up fast enough to open the vent then the motor may have an internal short in the windings that can cause this or even a failing bearing will do this as well.
I can help you replace that if you need and also provide you where to purchase the replacement fan best price please let me know.
If you have a meter you could verify that the motor is at fault but on these and with this issue its going to be the fan itself;-)
I will stick with you until this is fixed, please don’t forget to rate my service to you before you close this page. I will be available to you at no additional cost , you can then get in touch with me anytime by simply replying to this message.
Thank you and have a great day.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
To test the motor I have a meter. Where would I be checking? The fan states GS40DT009 on the cowling and T40DT030 on the motor of the fan. Listed in Aberdeen who had the terrible "Engineer" quoted around £290 new one on top of the PCB.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Phil,, you can get eh motor less, I will tell you where. The first thing to do is disconnect the motor, then test the power output going to the wires that connect to the motor. let me know what voltage you get on full power. That will tell me if its the fan or the board.
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks. We disconnected the parts and I have them out of the house at the moment and so can't select between speeds without the top control connected. . It may be tomorrow before I can check and get back to.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good Phil I will be here ;-)
Tech Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Speed setting 1:
Black = 245.6Vac
Red = few mv
Brown = 51.4Vac
Yellow = 51.6Vac
White = 48.1Vac
Blue = 54.4Vac
Speed setting 2:
Black = 245.6Vac
Red = few mv
Brown = 52.2Vac
Yellow = 54.2Vac
White = 51.5Vac
Blue = 51.8Vac
Speed setting 3:
lack = 54.5Vac
Red = few mv
Brown = 67.9Vac
Yellow = 245.3Vac
White = 245.2Vac
Blue = 61.0Vac
Speed setting 4:
Black = 244.9Vac
Red = few mv
Brown = 57.5Vac
Yellow = 245.3Vac
White = 49.9Vac
Blue = 57.8Vac
Phil
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Phil, sorry delay I was out of the office.
That is about right the speeds.
So I would say with confidence the motor is at fault;-)
I will be here when you have the new motor no additional cost please rate kindly at this time and have a wonderful day Phil.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Perfect. You mentioned being able to get the specific motor cheaper somewhere. Is this still the case or will I get the one at around £290? Any advice would be great.
GS40DT009 on the cowling and the motor is. T40DT030
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Phil,
here are two good sites, also their phone #'s it is best to call to order from them;-)
http://www.4caple.co.uk/?mkwid=NPjOcJqN&pcrid=4486503747&kword=caple%20part&match=bb
Call: Order by Phone: 0844 55 72 510
Or you can use Espares: http://www.espares.co.uk/
Phil please call them:0844 9777 888
Please don't forget to rate my service today;-)
Have a great weekend!
Tech Mike