George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

how do i find out my product key .1 when i bought

how do i find out my product key .1 when i bought the laptop it was preinstalled with windows 8.1 and the product key was G47YQ-HYNR8-PW3QM-XH7FK-YDVPD BUT I AM IN NEED OF MY PRODUCT KEY as microsoft say tis key is not acceptable
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you tell me why Microsoft told you that the code is no longer acceptable?

Customer:

because it is most probably Toshiba code as i retrived it from registry

George-Allsorts :

The code will be on a COA sticker on the underneath of your computer

Customer:

but it is not all it has is a stickef with windows 8 on and a toshiba sticker with the serial or model no

George-Allsorts :

If you have the Recovery Media that was made from the original installation then you can use that to reinstall the product..

If the COA label is not on the computer and you need to re-install but do not have the Recovery Media, then you will have to purchase a replacement COA in order to reinstall the product...

George-Allsorts :

What is the reason that you need the code?

Customer:

to re-install

George-Allsorts :

Did you not obtain the Recovery Media... Also, is it not possible to create a set of Recovery Media?

George-Allsorts :

In other words.. was the computer purchased as a new computer?

George-Allsorts :

or a used computer?

Customer:

it was a new computer i bought but i have no recovery so i need the product key that i should have got withit

George-Allsorts :

OK.. If you look on the installed programs by pressing you start button, is there not a folder ?

Customer:

it is windows 8 there are apps and i have been to them iwas expecting to get them when i came on line but i got this site

George-Allsorts :

How old is the computer?

Customer:

not 12 months old

George-Allsorts :

One moment please

George-Allsorts :

Can you let me know the model number of your laptop and the serial number please

Customer:

SATellite S50D-A-10f

Customer:

S.n 2E0232185 PN RSKKWE-00R008EN

George-Allsorts :

Can you tell me where the laptop was purchased from please

Customer:

***** ***** Liverpool one Branch

George-Allsorts :

Recovery Media - Recovery media can be created through "TOSHIBA Recovery Media Creator" installed on the laptop.

To access the System Restore, Refresh and Reset options using the F12 option at startup, perform the following:

If not already, ensure the computer is completely shut down. How To: ***** ***** a Laptop with Windows 8
Now restart the computer by pressing the power button - IMMEDIATELY start tapping the F12 key on the keyboard until the "Boot Menu" screen appears.
Using the arrow keys, select <HDD Recovery> and press "Enter".
On the next screen you are asked to confirm if you want to contiue with recovery. Select "Yes".
The computer will bring you to the Advanced startup screen.
Select Troubleshoot. Under Troubleshoot you will see “Refresh” and “Reset”.
Select “Advanced options.” Located here is "System Restore."

George-Allsorts :

Did you register your laptop warranty?

Customer:

yes but i am in Iraq at the moment on the oil field and am lucky i have got this far Thanks a million

George-Allsorts :

In case you need to replace a defective hard drive you will need to contact ***** ***** to get the contact information Toshiba Warranty Claim

George-Allsorts :

Why is it that you need to re-install may I ask?

Customer:

the computer went bully up and i was able to get windows 8.1 on a flash drive but need a product key when trying to activate so i have so many days to go free

George-Allsorts :

I see...

Try the F12 suggestion above and use the pre-installed software from the recovery partition if it hasn't been destroyed by your new installation

If the recovery partition still works then once installed you will no longer require a key from

George-Allsorts :

microsoft

Customer:

ok many thanks

George-Allsorts :

Can I ask you to now take time to assist me by clicking on the smiley faces that you can now see... This will help me as it rates my assistance with your problems and it is the only way I get credited assistance given to you..