Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Frigidaire frost free, purchased Dec. 09, it doesn't

I have a Frigidaire frost free, purchased Dec. 09, it doesn't seem to be draining to the compressor like it should, it leaks out at the front bottom door, I am sure that the drain hole is blocked but am unable to locate the hole in the freezer can you advise me as to what can be done, I have been in contact with a local supplier/maintenance shop, they said as the freezer was over 4 years old I need to switch it off & empty the appliance hours, is this a feasible situation??? many thanks help. Gordon
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok the drain hole will be blocked and that's why you have this fault. As on frost free all it takes is a piece of ice to fall in the wrong place like the drain hole and it blocks it as the heaters in there wont melt it so then you get a knock on effect.
Theres 2 ways to sort this. Either the defrost hours with the freezer door left open will cure it.
Or empty the freezer and then you need to remove the plastic panel at the back.
With this off you will see the evaporator. Under there is the drain channel. Remove the ice from there and then you will find the hole. Pore boiling water in there and poke something down there and that will unblock it.
Then that will cure the fault and stop the leak from there. This is a common fault on all frost free so clearing the hole will cure it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Daniel I have done one of the things you suggest ie. removing the back panel, I used a hot air blower which had a similar effect as boiling water, unfortunately this did not reveal a drain hole, I then removed the drain tray from above the compressor & tried pushing a 1/32 welding rod up this only went up about a inch then seemed to arrive at a dead stop, try as one may it would not go any further, the stop did not feel like it was ice.

gordon

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Can you post the model number please.
Also did you find the evaporator in the freezer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The model No. is FRC150FF

If the evaporator is something like pipes with baffles between then yes I did it went along the width of the freezer approximately 4 inches in height

G

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok if you remove the back panel and then there may be another cover behind there .
Remove that as well and if you can see the evaporator then the drain channel is directly under it. It may be covered in ice so you need to remove the ice from there but the hole will be there under that evaporator.
Check it and see what you find but if you just cannot see it then take a picture of it and post it on here and I will show you were it is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok have taken picture now I have to find out how to get it on here

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok look at the very bottom of the evaporator and the drain channel is under there. Theres a black wire type on the far left going it to it. That's ice from what I can see so you need to break the ice in there.
But becarefull as theres a drain heater in there so you don't want to damage that.
Pore boiling water into there and that usually melt it but you may need a few of them and plenty of towels part.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok Daniel, have tried the boiling water trick but unable to get most of it where it's most needed, so I think I must play the waiting game 24 hrs.to be up & see if I can see the drain hole then, will I be able to get back to you tomorrow if all else fails??

Sorry to be an idiot but am in my 80s & got the frost free to save defrosting, but on reflection it seems easier to do that than go through all this.

G

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Ok if you cannot fully clear it then just leave it off hours with the freezer door open and panels off and that will do the job.
But if you just keep poring the boiling water in there slowerly it will melt the ice. It will be a messy job as the water will overspill every were but it will do it.
It looks like a very tight gap under there that's why its a bit harder to do this.
But try the defrost and see what its like tomorrow afternoon and that should be clear from there.
With frost free we do see this fault now and them im afraid but most of the time if shouldn't block up.
Let me know how it goes but if you do the defrost side you wont have any problems that way but if you do need to get back to me that's not a problem at all. Even after rating you can still get back to me on this as that's not a problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Daniel, lets hope it works.

Cheers

Regards Gordon

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
No worries Gordon.
Im sure it will as we don't normall have problems once its defrosted like this so you will be just fine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Over & out.

G xx

Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
No worries