Plumberpro
Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
77408428

I'm trying to connect a nest to a potterton suprima 40 The

I'm trying to connect a nest to a potterton suprima 40
The current install has a landy and Staefa rwb9 connected and a thermostat.
I have wired the nest up with AC mains now I just need to connect the nest.
I know I can use the existimg thermostats wiring to connect the nest thermostat iit is the SWL connection I'm having trouble with.
I have identified the SWL on the boiler /rwb9 and the mesh of wires near the hot water tank but not sure where to connect.
Do I remove the controller SWL or not or just tap onto into and make the heat on all of the time on the existing timer ?
Expert:  Plumberpro replied 2 years ago.
Plumberpro :

Hi .what is your current thermostat?

Plumberpro :

Ok , don't quite understand why you have rated bad service. Have just downloaded the wiring diagrams and was ready to help

Customer: Sorry slip of the pc I'll adjust
Customer: I'll log on to pc as I'm on iPad
Plumberpro :

Ok , no probs . are you using a heat link with it?

Customer: One min
Customer: moving onto PC
Customer:

hi

Customer:

heat link ?

Plumberpro :

Customer:

yes it is a heat link

Plumberpro :

You need two wires from your thermostat

Customer:

i have wired this into AC mains with the relevant link

Customer:

the last connection is the SWL

Customer:

i have identified the existing thermostat wires which i can take off and use for the NEST thermostat and connect to the heat link

Customer:

its the SWL im having trouble identifiying/connecting

Customer:

there is a timer/controller which im told to leave in situe and leave the HW timer as is but make sure the timer for CH is on always

Plumberpro :

Come from programmer CH out 4 and into 2 on heat link. 3 on heat link , out to swl

Customer:

i have the wiring diagram from the web of the RWB9 programmer

Customer:

this is wired in my kitchen the this is wired upstairs to a mass junction box(this is where the existing thermostat is wired to and where i will remove to use for the new NEST thermostat)

Customer:

the programmer has 6 connections:

Customer:

N - to mains fuse

Customer:

L

Customer:

1 - HW off

Customer:

2 - ch off

Plumberpro :

I have the wiring diagram for your programmer

Customer:

3 hw on

Customer:

4 on

Customer:

these are wired then i think go upstairs to this mass junction box

Plumberpro :

Ok . I understand .do you have two motorised valves or one

Customer:

could you help not sure what a motorised valve is ?

Plumberpro :

Your programmer for central heating will come out of 4 this will connect in your wiring box to common or 1 in your existing thermostat and then out of your existing stat wiring from 3 to your motorised valve. Will find a picture of a m valve

Plumberpro :

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok ill check

Plumberpro :

Or this is a 3 port . first was a 2 port

Plumberpro :

Full Size Image

Customer:

just getting a pic now

Customer:

do you have an email i will send you the pic as it wont let me load them

Plumberpro :

They won't allow email to come up. Can you see the images I uploaded ?

Customer:

yes

Plumberpro :

Ok , do you have any of these?

Customer:

its just this pc doest have email and i have taken the pictures with my ipad but the attatchment icon is not there as it is on my pc

Plumberpro :

The way I do it is copy the picture from another page , then paste it in

Customer:

do you have an email address i could send you these pictures

Customer:

i have something similar in the boiler cupboard

Plumberpro :

Just answer won't allow email addresses to come up

Customer:

it says MID postion actuator code

Customer:

BGMVSP-23

Customer:

looks similar to your photos

Plumberpro :

Ok . the orange wire from your mid position valve is the switched live back to fire the boiler

Customer:

ok so if i identify this orange wire do i remove the other junction box wiring from this terminal or just t into and connect to NEST heat controller

Plumberpro :

The order is fused spur to programmer . out of programmer heating on(4) to thermostat ç, out of thermostat 3 , onto mid pos valve white wire, out of mid pos valve orange and onto boiler swl. So the nest will replace the current thermostat .this is where the heat unit is wired in

Customer:

i have checked the junction box upstairs and i can confirm that the orange wire from the motorised valve is connected to a brown wire (which in turn routes direct to the water boiler cylinder) on the other side of the choc block it is connected to a yellow wire which runs down stairs.

Customer:

this wire (yellow) im sure routes down to the current controllers 3 hw on, within the RWB9

Customer:

shall i remove this from the RWB9

Plumberpro :

The number 2 connection on the heat unit is wired into the programmer 4 connection.this is where your thermostat in is connected.

Customer:

yes ive got that

Plumberpro :

No all wiring connection will be made in the wiring centre that thge programmer etc goes to

Customer:

i know where the existing thermostat wires are on the junction box, ill remove these and use them to connect the NEST thermostat. The existing yellow wire (terminal 3 on the RWB9) routes to the junction box then to the orange cable as discussed, this is the position of the CFH (terminal 3 on nest)

Plumberpro :

Where the programmer goes to is your 2 on heat unit. You will have to work out your existing thermostat wiring so you can find the other incoming thermostat wire. This will be you heat unit 3. Then you are nearly there

Customer:

the NEST diagrams terminal 2 states it can be linked to the fuse spur LIVE , i have put a link cable in as per the documentation

Plumberpro :

Use the two areold thermostat wires for your heat unit t1 an t2. Take photos of all wiring before you do anything just in case .or write down numbers and colours

Customer:

link cable from the heat links live

Plumberpro :

No 2 isn't live

Plumberpro :

Neutral and live go into neutral and live in heat unit.

Customer:

it states that in the NEST diagram that it is , the one im looking at

Customer:

it shows a t of from the fused spur to the power supply for the heat link then onto terminal 2

Plumberpro :

Not in the one I'm looking at

Plumberpro :

Go to page 13

Customer:

one min

Plumberpro :

Connect the control circuit

Plumberpro :

What you are looking at must if the nest is the only control you have

Customer:

yes i see that , but in the install book i have it shows you can t off from the live feed to the heat link onto 2

Customer:

saving you having to run another cable/core to the heat link

Customer:

ok i think im there i know the thermostat wires and which ones to remove

Plumberpro :

Your be missing out your progr if you do it that way

Customer:

the yellow wire from the RWB9 (yellow terminal 3) connects to the junction box upstairs and then onto the orange wire as we have discussed

Plumberpro :

Your programmer will be bypassed

Customer:

for HW too >

Customer:

?

Plumberpro :

Not for hot water , just your heating

Plumberpro :

Full Size Image

Plumberpro :

This shows 4 for CH on for your programmer

Customer:

ok ill will find the common as per your info coming to the junction box and connect to heat controller terminal 2

Plumberpro :

Ok

Customer:

ref the yellow for CFH (heat controller terminal 3) shall i leave in connected to the RWB9 to ?

Plumberpro :

Yes that is for hot water , that can be left as it is

Customer: Ok many thanks for your time and patients
Plumberpro :

Your welcome

Plumberpro :

Would you mind re rating? You can always come back if you need further help ,all the best with it

Customer: Will do
Plumberpro :

Plumberpro, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Heating and hot water heating appliances experienced
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.