George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Wondering if u can help. My neff dishwasher is not working.

Customer Question

Wondering if u can help.
My neff dishwasher is not working. all the lights are on and it fills up with water but it does not drain nor does the spray arms rotates. it makes a low hum noise and then nothing happens.
can u help?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you give the ENR and FD from the top of the door please

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

type S9 J1P

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

S5453XGB/56

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

neff

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

FD 8504 ENR S5453X1GB/56

George-Allsorts :

Thanks information.. I shall have a look at the schematics particular model and come back to you.. This will take a little while

George-Allsorts :

Have you pressed reset to reset the appliance?

George-Allsorts :

If so, what happens when you do so?

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

It makes a little noise and then nothing happens

George-Allsorts :

Ok.. you will need to pull out the dishwasher to drain it and then check the pump that is stopping the impellor from rotating

George-Allsorts :

Firstly, pull out the dishwasher and drop the drain hose into a bowl to eleviate the appliance of the water content

George-Allsorts :

Then come back to me

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

done

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

i can't get the base plastic panel off

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

machine is on its back

George-Allsorts :

wow.. that was faster than I can do it

George-Allsorts :

I don't think that this one has the removable panel does it?

George-Allsorts :

The pump on this one is accessed through the front removable plate

George-Allsorts :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

front plate under the door has been removed

George-Allsorts :

OK.. take off the outer aesthetic kitchen door and you should be able to access the pump

George-Allsorts :

The pump is attached to the side of the sump on this model..
Look tab that locks it into position.. unlock the tab and twist the pump to remove it

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

sorry going back to aesthetic panel, how do u take it off?

George-Allsorts :

The kitchen cupboard front... One moment I'll see which type of fitting yours has

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

wife has suggested we unscrew 4x and panel is off now

George-Allsorts :

OK.. at the side edge of the door, there are two plastic plugs... remove the plugs and use a screwdriver to partially remove the screws.. once unscrewed a little way, the clamp will let go of the door, then lift the door upwards and away

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

done and area exposed now

George-Allsorts :

Can you see the pump?

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

pump out and all cleaned no debris present.

George-Allsorts :

Can you test the pump?

George-Allsorts :

Use a multimeter to test across the terminals

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

got a multi meter but do not know how to use it

George-Allsorts :

Put it onto Ohms and tell me what reading you get across the two terminals of the pump

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

no reading from pump.

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

can u tell me the setting meter

George-Allsorts :

If there is no reading across the pump then it needs replacing

George-Allsorts :

Ohms... The omega sign

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

0.284 reading on 2K omega reading

George-Allsorts :

That's ok... Now check that you can turn the impellor

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

impellor goes round both direction ( stucky motion)

George-Allsorts :

That's also good...

George-Allsorts :

The pump can now be replaced

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

so nis it the pump thats not working properly?

George-Allsorts :

The pump is ok...

George-Allsorts :

You then need to check and test the wash motor

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

?

George-Allsorts :

The wash motor is a pump that circulates water around the dishwasher ... .. If that motor turns out to be ok then you'll need to check the main PCB..

George-Allsorts :

Although having said that.. The pump that you have just checked is ok, yet it wasn't operating when you tried it.. so the main PCB is likely damaged... but, we have to check the wash pump first because if we replace the main PCB and the wash motor is faulty then the main PCB will break again

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

ok how do we cj

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

check the wash pump?

JACUSTOMER-xkhigkr4- :

wash motor

George-Allsorts :

You'll need to get into the base of the appliance one... Remove and check the front impellor can move.. Check the field windings of the motor, and check the seals.. the if all is well, which I doubt, then put it back and check the main PCB

George-Allsorts :

Can I ask you to now take time to assist me by clicking on the smiley faces that you can now see... This will help me as it rates my assistance with your problems... This will switch you to Q & A.. I can then answer your questions as and when I'm available

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair

Did you just ask a question about removing the base?

Watch this video

This is not your model but it'll give you a good idea