George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My Electrolux Aqualux 1200 washer/dryer machine regularly turns

My Electrolux Aqualux 1200 washer/dryer machine regularly turns itself off during a cycle. After 2-3 minutes it can be restarted, but can this irritating fault be fixed?
thanks and best wishes
Jacki
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello Jacki, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you supply the PNC or Prod number from the appliance please

Also, can you tell me, when you turn the appliance back on, does it then restart the cycle or does it continue with the cycle that it was on?

Customer:

Dear *****,

Customer:

Sorry for the slow response. I have been away for a few days.

Customer:

Unfortunately I can't locate a PNC or Prod number. We have recently moved house and inherited the machine from the previous owners. The machine is fitted into a range of kitchen cupboards and I can't get to the back or sides of it. The best I can do is EW 1200i, if that's any help. I don't know how old the machine is but if it's the original one which was fitted in when the house was built it will be about 10 years old.

Customer:

The machine continues with the cycle it was on once it's restarted. I didn't take a note of when or on what programme it occurred at first but since I started monitoring it recently I've noted that it's been on the longer cycles - H and D.

Customer:

Regards,

Customer:

Jacki

George-Allsorts :

Hi Jacki, welcome back

George-Allsorts :

I'm going to suprise you and tell you that the EW 1200i was first produced in 1998 and then the latest production was 2001

Customer:

Crikey George, that is a surprise! I wouldn't have thought it was THAT old!

Customer:

Jacki

George-Allsorts :

I'm just looking at the information available for that model to see if I can identify a likely cause of the problem... Are you saying that the problem ONLY occurs on H & D, or is it that it MOSTLY happens on H & D?

Customer:

So far I've only used programmes H, D, J, M and N. I don't recall it happening on the last three but as I said, I only started monitoring it properly about a week ago.

George-Allsorts :

Have you noticed at what point during the wash the appliance turns off?

George-Allsorts :

ie. does the appliance have water in it... has the water heated.. has it spun .. etc.?

Customer:

Not always noticed. When I noted the stop on programme H, it was just a bit after it had got past J. D, yesterday, was soon after it had started. So I think generally it has had water in it; I'm not sure whether it had heated; and I don't think it had ever got to the spin cycle.

George-Allsorts :

Just as a test, I would like you to put the appliance on to a Rinse program (P) and after it has finished, tell me if the same problem has happened.. also watch for the spin program on this test

Customer:

That ran OK George and the spin programme seemed fine to me.

George-Allsorts :

It sounds to me Jacki that you are in need of a new heater element in your appliance

Customer:

Oh, that wasn't what I expected at all! I thought there was a problem with the On/Off button which I've just realised I didn't mention doesn't always seem to engage properly, sometimes when switching on and sometimes off.

George-Allsorts :

Yes, that could also cause this same problem.. although I did not count that as the cause since you seem to be able to use the appliance ok, and, the problem is limited to certain program types

George-Allsorts :

If this were not tied down to specific program types then I would say that the switch is more likely, however, when the appliance works fine when heat is not called for, I then would count the most likely cause as the heating element

Customer:

Ah, I see. Makes sense. Looks like we'll have to investigate a new heater element then.

Customer:

Sorry, hit reply before I was finished.

Customer:

George-Allsorts :

The element part number is #1240325900

Customer:

Thanks again.Now I know the machine is so old (older than the house which was built 10 years ago!) it explains some things about the programmes which to me don't seem very attuned to today's wash styles. May I ask - is there a way of changing the temperature of various wash cycles? I haven't discovered one. My programme of choice would be H, but at 40 degrees C, rather than 50. I've tried using M (the wool wash) instead for a general mixed wash but of course that's only a 1kg max load and I usually need the 2kg.

George-Allsorts :

No sorry, the pre-programmed temperatures are fixed

Customer:

I was afraid you were going to say that! Oh well, thought it worth asking the expert. Kind of wish I'd brought the machine I left in my old house with me which I found much better, only the tumble dryer was a bit dodgy.

George-Allsorts :

Best washing machine I ever had was a twin tub... That says a lot :)

Customer:

Sounds like you're about my era! Modern technology is a wonderful thing when it works. But enormously frustrating when it doesn't - especially to a technophobe like me - heh? Still, you clearly don't have the technophobe issue!

Customer:

So we're all done now I think? I just need to rate you using one of the smiley faces at the bottom of my screen??

George-Allsorts :

Lovely, I have enjoyed helping you this afternoon... sorry I couldn't have sorted the problem for you

George-Allsorts :

Have a good afternoon

George-Allsorts :

George

Customer:

You too George - and thanks again.

George-Allsorts :

You're welcome

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair