Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Tumble dryer TD4112W. Initial issue not getting sufficiently

Customer Question

Tumble dryer TD4112W. Initial issue not getting sufficiently hot to effectively dry. Have changed heater and thermostat but still the same. Gets warm but not hot. All controls on face of machine set OK for max heat.
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi I am Tech Michael, I am sorry to hear that.
Please be patient as these are technical issues and I want to guide you the best way possible to save you money and time;-)
Please remember these are technical issues and may require some back and forth conversation to sort this out.
How old is your dryer? Also is yours the gas or electric model?
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael, thanks for your response. It's an electric model circa 2003/5. Old I know but they are pretty basic and it functions well in all respects, other than the heating at the moment. Don't like throwing things away!

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alan, the first thing I need you to check is the exhaust fan. Remove the vent hose on the back of the dryer and run the unit for a few minutes, let me know how forceful the air flow is and also if it feels hot or just warm.
Tech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael, I checked this when we first had the problem. With the hose connected the flow seems pretty much OK though I am not sure exactly what to expect. Certainly the hose was kicking around a bit and lint was flying everywhere. Have removed as much lint as poss. from hose and ports on machine. Air temp at exit is warm, not hot. My wife tells me glass is normally hot to touch. Not the case now. As I said have changed heater and stat but no improvement.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi This may be a failed wire to the heating element. It would be at one of the terminating ends or even inside the wire.
If you find those wires are ok, then the issue is the heat coil relay but that will require replacing the main board because they sell the board complete not just the relay;-(
Once you OHM out those wires and are sure the connection points are secure and clean, then the board would be the next step;-)
I will stick with you until this is fixed, please don’t forget to rate my service to you before you close this page. I will be available to you at no additional cost , you can then get in touch with me anytime by simply replying to this message.
Thank you and have a great day !
Tech Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience: I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael, dryer out and top removed. Wiring looks fine no signs of scorching or cracking anywhere. Have given the connectors a good "jiggle" just for luck and run the machine at high heat set for 30 mins. The machine case behind the heater is too hot to touch for more than a second and exit temp from hose is 51 deg., plus glass is much hotter than previous. Maybe we have a dreaded intermittent fault in the coil relay. Guess we just have to keep an eye on it. Sounds like a board replacement could be uneconomic so fingers crossed.

Many thanks for all your help. Would appreciate your comment on exit temp. Thanks again.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi it sounds like the main board is at fault here but let me know how it goes and I will provide you with any additional information to get this working properly;-)
Have a wonderful day!
Tech Michael
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
f
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Michael, sorry no access to computer last few days. So far so good but will anticipate feedback from main user [wife] should things deteriorate again. If it does will consider main board though a replacement may be more economic. Thanks for all your help. Have rated you previously and haven't seen rating option since. Hopefully that one rating was sufficient.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good;-)
keep me posted.
Tech Michael