George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

If I place the upper basket in the top position to leave clearance

Customer Question

If I place the upper basket in the top position to leave clearance for the plates below the spray arm will not rotate. I cannot see any obstruction in the tube or the multi-position 'funnel' at the back. The dishwasher works OK with the upper basket in the lower position
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Can you post the model number please.
Also have you removed the top spray arm to give this a good clean out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I removed and cleaned the spray arm . It works just fine on the lower position. Water freely flows through all the holes under the tap.

Model number is *****

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Ok when you get this kind of fault its either the arm itself or the wash motor not powerfull enough to pump the water up to the arm.
When its washing does it sound normal or does it sound a bit weak at washing?
Set it going on a wash and when its washing open the door a few times and see if you can try and see water coming out the top arm. You may have to do this a few times opening and closing the door to check it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK,

I have done the following experiment. Put the arm in a position say 9 oclock. Run the machine, check during the wash cycle and see if the arm has moved. If it is pointing in the same direction, turn it 90 degrees then repeat. On the top position it always points forward. Although it spins easily.

In the lower position it is clearly turning as it stops in random places.

Writing this now it sounds like somehow the door may be stopping it.

I will see if I can verify this.

It would be a help if you could suggest why this might happen.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
The door wont stop the spray arm from turning as it gets no were near the arm. But check theres nothing like an air freshner hanging on the top basket as this can sometimes stop the arm from turning.
But if that's all fine and the water pressure from the motor is good then its possibley just a faulty arm. As there may be a slight split in the seam so it knocks the balance out of it and actually stops the arm from turning.
So if all the above is fine then it may just be down to a faulty arm as the balance may have gone from it due to a slight split in there which in this case will need a new arm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Interesting! I will look carefully to see if that could be it. I did look at it to see if there were any visible blockages.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Just see as all it takes is a split down the seam of the arm and that stops it from spinning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to say that none of your advice has helped. The arm is showing no signs of splitting. It also does not explain why it works in the other position.

This is not a straight forward problem as the appliance works fine with the basket in the other position.

I will contact Smeg directly and see if this is a problem they have had before.

I am reluctant to give a poor rating as the problem must be difficult to assess without actually seeing it for yourself. However I have been charged £11 and still have a dishwasher that only works if the plates are not too tall.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
The answer did not fix the problem.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses from me as I'm not constantly available.. I will do my best to assist you with this problem, but I am afraid that the other expert Daniel has answered virtually all the possibilities to this problem..

I can only think of one other possibility that has not been covered so far and that is; the spray arm is attached to a duct that is attached to the basket... at the rear of this duct is a sector that clips into the rear of the duct with a seal between.. these two parts attached to the basket, push onto the part from which the water comes... there is also a seal involved here.. If any of the seals are damaged or missing then this will cause the problem..

I have included a diagram so that you can see the way the parts fit together..

graphic

What will also help is if you can possibly post a picture of this area and its connective area then there is a possibility that someone will notice the fault causing the problem.

I hope this assists
regards