George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

Uncanny knocking during certain times of cycle

Uncanny knocking during certain times of cycle If you hold hand on machine when makin noise this helps!
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Please can you let me know the ENR of the appliance and which area the knocking comes from

Customer: Hello
Customer: enr wfr2460gb/01 fd 8105 700014
Customer: knocking from top LH side drawer side
Customer: Hello
Customer: Can you please reply
George-Allsorts :

Sorry for the late reply.. I was detained on a family emergency

Can you tell me if you are able to rock the appliance at all when it is not operating?

Can you also open the door and check the edge of the metal drum by lifting it to see if there is any upward/downward movement.. rotate the drum a third and try again.. Then do the same again for the last third.

Customer: Thank you for getting back. Currently on a noisy wash!! Will try your suggestion when wash finished and get back.
George-Allsorts :

OK... Also, at what period of the wash does the noise begin

Customer:

No rocking when not operating. Very slight movement 2 to 3 mm upwards and downwards. Noise is during spin periods - draining during wash and final spin programme.

George-Allsorts :

Can you take out all the washing... Check that up/down again movement for me; is it still 2-3mm... Spin the drum by hand, is there a slight rumble?

Customer:

Customer:

Movement still the same - it is little or none really and there is no rumble, just a whirr as I would expect.

George-Allsorts :

OK.. What I was getting you to do was to check the bearings...

Now I need you to do the same edge test on the drum, but this time not pressing up from the top edge of the drum, but pressing downwards from the bottom edge of the drum... This time what you are looking for is more movement in any given area than others...Just try that for me please

Customer:

There is slightly more movement to the sides but the bottom is just as the top little or no movement

George-Allsorts :

OK.. That is fine.. we were looking for any obvious damage to the drum support.. and we can now rule that out..

George-Allsorts :

Now I can narrow it down to one very likely suspect.. The shock absorbers are no the most likely suspects.. You can check these from the rear of the appliance.. Waggle them in the center to see if there is any movement.. If there is, then these will need changing.

shock absorbers

DISCOUNT
When you get to the Checkout page.. To the left of the 'Pay by Card' button there is a link to allow you to enter a discount code.. Click on it and enter the discount code __ id1975 __ to get a discount

Customer:

Thank you for your help. I will get these ordered and fitted and hopefully have a peaceful washing cycle!!!!

George-Allsorts :

Can I ask you at this point to take time to assist me by clicking on the smiley faces that you can now see... This will help me as it rates my assistance with your problems and it is the only way I get credited for the assistance given to you..

Experience: A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair