Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

, I have a zanussi zki245 washer dryer which has stopped

Customer Question

Hi, I have a zanussi zki245 washer dryer which has stopped working. When I turn the dial, the screen sometimes lights up but no time is displayed and the start button doesn't light up.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Sorry this isn't going to be good news.
From the fault you describe the main control board will be the issue here. Ive replaced loads of them in the past for this fault.
There are a few basic things to try first. If you haven't already try the washer in another plug socket and check that.
If that's fine then pull the washer out from under the unit and rmove the metal top.
Then from there you will see the wiring connections going to the main power board behind the control panel. Give all the blocks a push and make sure there a tight fit on there.
Then retry the washer and see what happens. If still the same then the control board will need to be replaced to get this up and running again. As I said ive replaced loads of them for this fault.
In the mean time try and leave the washer on and see if it comes back on. As in the past ive known then to come on after a few hours of so and work until it gets turned off again. Now its something you can try. Im not saying that it will do this ive just heard in the past that this can happen.
Sorry its not looking like good news but if you need anymore info just get back to me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've had the same problem previously but the machine was still in its warranty so an engineer came and fixed it. This was done by pressing a combination of buttons on the panel. Do you know how to do this? The machine is built in to my kitchen - accessing the top would be a destructive process that I'm not prepared to do as a first option.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Ok I think I know what he will have done but I cannot see that cureing it but worth a try.
Turn the dial to off.
Press and hold the start button and the button to the left of it.
Keep them held in and turn the dial 1 click clockwise.
Keep the buttons held in till they start to flash then let go.
Now turn the dial clockwise one click at a time till you get back to off.
Then turn on the turn back off again.
Now turn the washer back on and see what happens from there.
As to the washer being built in I know that going off the model number. But if installed correctly then it should just slid out from under the units if you need to pull it out. But that's if its installed correctly as ive seen some installs where its near impossible to remove.