George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

How do I clean the pump?

Customer Question

How do I clean the pump?
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you supply me with the model number please and the code starting with 85

JACUSTOMER-lqizs8tv- :

All we have AWO/049

George-Allsorts :

Thank you... That is an integrated washer is it not?

JACUSTOMER-lqizs8tv- :

Yes, we bought an integrated one but have not put the cupboard door on and is free standing

George-Allsorts :

Down at the bottom where the kick-panel is.. there is a black circular shape.. can you see it?

JACUSTOMER-lqizs8tv- :

Yes,at the bottom right, it loks like a plug

George-Allsorts :

Full Size Image

George-Allsorts :

Where the arrow is.. turn it to the left to open it

JACUSTOMER-lqizs8tv- :

I have turned it to the left and taken the black cap off and it leaked some water

George-Allsorts :

That is where your pump is... when you need to clean the pump, that is what you do.

George-Allsorts :

If you don't mind me asking; why did you need to know this?

JACUSTOMER-lqizs8tv- :

water is not draining from the washing machine and a red light came on in mid cycle saying Clean Pump.

JACUSTOMER-lqizs8tv- :

Water is still in the washing machine

George-Allsorts :

Then it is not the pump that needs cleaning... Are you by any chance missing a sock or something of a like size?

George-Allsorts :

This is a semi-common issue that happens when socks escape the washing load and get stuck in the hose between the washing machine drum and the pump

JACUSTOMER-lqizs8tv- :

I have checked the drum and nothing has been stuck

George-Allsorts :

You can not check from inside the drum... the fault is underneather the drum, inside the hose that leads from the drum to the pump

JACUSTOMER-lqizs8tv- :

what do we do?

George-Allsorts :

To sort the problem you need to pull out the appliance and go to its underneath...

George-Allsorts :

If you are physically able then you can do this.. however if not, then you will need an appliance engineer

JACUSTOMER-lqizs8tv- :

we have pulled appliance out and hoses are attached at the back. do we still need to get underneath?

George-Allsorts :

yes.. Turn off the power...

The appliance should be leaned back at 45 degrees onto a toolbox or something else that is strong ..
There is a hose that is connected to the base of the drum.. This is where your problem lies...
Be careful though, as all the water in the drum will leak out if you are not careful...
You need to undo the clamp that holds the hose and remove the blockage from within.. Then replace the hose securely.

George-Allsorts :

-------------

Can I ask you to now take time to assist me by clicking on the smiley faces that you can now see... This will help me as it rates my assistance with your problems

JACUSTOMER-lqizs8tv- :

We have pulled out the washing machine, turned it a 45 degrees, under the washing machine is a white plastic cover and cannot find hose

Hello Neil, the white plastic cover you see is just there to stop damp and dust... pull it off to see the hose