canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

Neff freezer/fridge 2003 E-Nr K3965XO/14..FD 8209... slight

Customer Question

Neff freezer/fridge 2003 E-Nr K3965XO/14..FD 8209... slight continuous leak from underneath. Is this due to blocked drainage port? If so, how to access and unblock?
Expert:  canuck the pro replied 1 year ago.
Customer:

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. If you turn the water behind the fridge off, does that stop the leak?

JACUSTOMER-ymxl2aw5- :

Difficult access to back of unit but will try to pull it all out and find water tap. Will then let you know, but it might take a while!

Customer:

If that proves to be too difficult then the bottom grill on the front is removable. If you remove the grill and look underneath with a flashlight you may see that the piping is leaking on the water filter housing.

JACUSTOMER-ymxl2aw5- :

Got whole unit out with help of strong wife! Water supply into filter unit back left completely dry. leak must be from elsewhere.

Customer:

Did you recently clean the inside?

JACUSTOMER-ymxl2aw5- :

No!

Customer:

The least is constant?

Customer:

leak

JACUSTOMER-ymxl2aw5- :

Only an intermittent trickle for weeks. It is water.

Customer:

Does it seem to come from near the back? If you look inside the fridge, is there condensation on the back wall and one the floor of the fridge under the drawer?

JACUSTOMER-ymxl2aw5- :

No condensation inside walls of fridge anywhere. not sure where liquid coming from but seems centre of unit towards rear.

Customer:

Since it is intermittent then it is likely leaking from the housing of the water valve beneath. The easiest way to confirm would be to turn the water off behind it and see if that stops the leak. The quickest way to find out would be to remove the lower panel in the back and look to see if the water is dripping from the plastic valve underneath.

JACUSTOMER-ymxl2aw5- :

Rear panel removed easily. unit where water supply is attached (filter?) completely dry as is all rest of machinery I can see/touch. There is an open pipe descending into a plastic tray which is bone dry. Is this evaporation tray? If so, why is it dry?

Customer:

The tray is the condensation drain tray. It is mostly dry so that is fine. The leak will likely not be in that area. It will be closer to the front in the middle. Follow the outlet line of the valve and that will likely go to the filter housing in the middle so it could be leaking there also.

JACUSTOMER-ymxl2aw5- :

Nope. No joy. Water feed from initial filter unit at rear heads towards front of fridge/freezer but seems dry as far as I can feel.All seems dry now. Maybe moving it has sorted problem, though I doubt it!

Customer:

Do you see any evidence around the condensation tray that water had dripped? Any chance the tray was out of place?

JACUSTOMER-ymxl2aw5- :

No, bone dry around condensation tray and seems in correct place.

Customer:

If you fill a large cup with water from the water dispenser then re-inspect do find any water then?

Customer:

If you run the water and still find no moisture underneath it must be that the tray is cracked or was just not quite under the tube.

Customer:

I have to run out and take the boy to school. I will be about an hour. Ok to pick back up then?

JACUSTOMER-ymxl2aw5- :

Mike, Hope school run ok. As we can now find no moisture at all underneath the NEFF, even after running water dispenser as you suggested, I have now replaced everything and put unit back in situ. We will watch and monitor any further discharge. I will come back if problem continues.

Customer:

Very good. Yes the school run went well. .. made it with minutes to spare! Be sure the plastic pan doesn't have any cracks in it and that it is placed under the discharge tube. That is very likely all it was. I look forward to future updates. Mike

Customer:

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?