canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I bought a Hotpoint oven about 2 yrs ago. I need to replace

I bought a Hotpoint oven about 2 yrs ago. I need to replace the light bulb which is at the top right hand of the oven. When I try to remove the cover the metal ring behing it moves with the cover and I am frightened of damaging the wires to the light. Can you help please?

I would like to add that I am in my late 70s so it is quite difficult to reach into the oven over the drop down door so any suggestion to make that easier would help.

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. The door of the oven is removable but it is a little heavy. Does the cover twist off or does it clip in? I thought it had a wire that went over the cover that you would move to the side and then the cover would come off? If that is not the case will you please provide the model number?

Customer:

My oven is a Hotpoint Single Oven with stayclean liners Model. No. SH83CXS.

canuck the pro :

Very good. I will give it a look. No wire that goes over the cover then?

Customer:

No I have looked.

canuck the pro :

Ok will be a minute while I look it up.

canuck the pro :

I see now. Well, there is little risk that the wires will be damaged and tightening the housing is a bit of surgery. The best suggestion I have would be too awkward without removing the door. If you had an assistant to remove the door for you then you could put a very small flat head screwdriver under the cover to try to hold the housing in place. Now besides that I would suggest not being too concerned about the wires. You will be able to use a fair amount of force without causing damage.