canuck the pro
canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience:  Plumber
64367226

I have an 6 year old Baxi combi and when you call

Customer Question

I have an 6 year old Baxi combi, Platinum 40 HE and when you call for hot water it cycles hot then cold. Burners yellow light comes on for about 20s and the temperature on the boilers gauge rises to 90 degrees then the yellow flame goes off for 20s etc. The water has been getting progressively cooler over the past few weeks. Have replaced the temperature sensor in a bid to repair but to no avail. The central heating side is fine.

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 2 years ago.
canuck the pro :

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have been in the home improvement and repair field for 20 years. I will be very glad to help you today. Is there any noise in the boiler when this is happening?

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

no more than usual just a little rumble at the start that lasts about a second or two at the most

canuck the pro :

Is there any error code on the display or just the flashing light?

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

no

canuck the pro :

Do you have a voltage tester and are you familiar with testing voltages?

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

yes have a one and a basic know how

canuck the pro :

Very good. Will you test for 230v at the 3 way motorized valve?

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

basic know how. Not sure where to set it

canuck the pro :

If it were the valve would it be outside of your comfort level to replace it? Connecting wiring etc?

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

no I am ok just not familiar with it

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

I've just changed the tempreture sensor thinging it might be that

canuck the pro :

When you run the hot water do you hear the motorized valve changing positions or clicking?

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

let me try

canuck the pro :

You may need an assistant for that one...your assistant can go turn the water on while you do the listening

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

done it, the boiler ignites then a clicking sound and the water becomes hot but themn cold

canuck the pro :

Very good. Well, there you have it. The 3 way valve is sticking and the motorized valve is not able to turn it. The 3 way valve is not completely changing position. The pressure in the water system will build pressure and when you turn on the hot water it activates the flow sensor and starts to heat the water. The valve is not allowing the volume so once the pressure is lower there is not enough volume to keep the flow sensor activated to continue to heat the water. If you remove the motorized valve and see if you can free up the port valve. If you cannot it may also be that the motorized valve is not engaging. Hopefully you will not need any new parts but if the port valve is stuck it may have stripped the internals of the motorized valve. Worst case you need to replace both.....best case you only need to free it up.

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

need I drain the whole system in order to complete of can I isolate

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

I MEAN OR NOT OF

canuck the pro :

No just turn the power off to the valve. It may simply be that the valve needs to be re-engaged to the port valve. No need to take any plumbing apart as the problem is mechanical.

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

The power to the system has been turned off. I don't understand

canuck the pro :

The motorized valve turns the post in the port valve changing positions of the port valve to allow CH or DW to operate. Now you would remove the motorized valve and investigate if it is stripped or if the port valve is stuck in position.

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

Ah! I understand now. I will take a look

canuck the pro :

Very good.

canuck the pro :

How about this Click here

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

I have the motor in my hand. it appears ok

canuck the pro :

Are you able to turn the port valve? Maybe the valve was not engaged?

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

this is a picture of it. It has no turn able parts

canuck the pro :

I see. A little different than I expected. The clicking is a good indication that the internals of the motorized valve is stripped internally. Are you able to turn the post of the port valve? That can be difficult also. If you turn it and it feels free to turn then replace the motorized valve on the port valve. If it still clicks then the motorized part is needing replacing.

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

I believe this work by a pin being extended from the motor pushing another pin in the three way assembly. The pin in the assemble works as I can push it in

canuck the pro :

Alright. If you turn the hot water on and push the pin do you get hot water? You may get hot water without it depressed....depends how it is piped.

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

Very good, if I press the pin in the temperature on the gage drops this to me indicates that the motor needs replacing, would agree

canuck the pro :

Excellent. Just one more part and all will be good! Try banging the motor a bit and re-install it. You may get a few more days out of it while you get a replacement.

JACUSTOMER-aw7i1527- :

tried that it worked for a very short period. thanks

canuck the pro :

You are very welcome. Glad to help. It won't hurt to bang on it more.....hopefully a few taps here and there will get you hot water while you get a replacement. You can use the smiley faces to rate my service when you are ready. If something comes up you can still comment or ask questions about this even after rating my service. I will always respond. Mike

canuck the pro, Plumber
Experience: Plumber
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have replaced the motor but still no success. However when I manually press in the pin on the assembly the temperature gauge drops?????

You got a new one already? That was quick! Do you still have the clicking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

No to a new one or no to the clicking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No to clicking. I don't live far from a trade centre that has the supplies

Do you hear it moving when you run the hot water? Have you tried removing it and replacing it again? It also may not be engaged.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have watched them both work by plugging them in and watched the pin rise or fall. But my theory is that when the water is turned on the pin should push down on the pin in the assembly just as I do when I push it manually not retract as I have watched it do. It is as if they are working in reverse order. The plug for the motor can only go in one way

And the old one worked a little bit when it was banged around then started doing the clicking again and stopped working? No question we are working on the right thing....Do you hear the motor running when you have it installed? When you installed it did you have the pin retracted?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, I have turned off the power from source, re-connected the motor, turned back on the power and felt the motor turn and watched the pin retract. Then I had someone turn on the hot water but the motor did nothing. It just stayed in the retracted position. Then the temperature went up to 90 and it cut out as you would expect as I had the motor in my hand. The motor did not kick in when the water was turned on

How about trying installing with it extended? This part is actually a little gray for me since I am not looking at it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

well actually the new one came with it extended and I put it in fitted it like that and felt it push down on the pin in the assembly then connected the power. That didn't work either.

It must have to be installed extended....the port valve must be stuck also. How about giving the port valve some taps. There must be something in it or it is stuck. Sometimes they get seized and have to be replaced....I doubt it is seized as it worked not too long ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I have further information. When I remove the motor and run the hot water tap the water does it usual, hot then cold trick. However when I manually press in the pin in on the three way assembly the hot water tap runs cold and remains cold until I release the pin then it just does its usual trick. This was not noticed before as I did not allow enough time. I thought if the temperature was dropping on the gauge that was good enough.

So if you install it again extended then turning the water on should start the motor maybe it was not fully extended?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've already done that both with the new and old. Still not working

What is the model motorized valve? It is wired correctly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Both motors old and new are true baxi parts and yes it is wired correctly as it has been working for six years

Installing the old one it clicks and sticks but the new one does nothing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they both make the same noise

If you set the selector to reset on the boiler after installing the valve does that solve it? The selector knobs are in the same positions as always? It throws me that when tapping on the old valve it worked for a short time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No resetting hasn't worked.

The new motor is fitted. I have reset it several times and this has not worked.

When I tapped the old one it did appear to do something. But maybe we must accept that I may have made a mistake.

So switching between heating and water the motor does activate?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The heating system works fine the hot water is a progressive problem. It started a good few weeks ago and has worsened since.

Well I sure was sure we were sure what was wrong.....now I am not so sure. Let's start with a little about what we are sure of....no hot water after a short burst and no error code. Also there is flow but the flow sensor is not being activated. These issues are caused by poor flow or a faulty flow sensor (not very likely but possible). Flow issues are caused by failing pumps, diverter motors and port valve failure and lost pressure or failed pressure vessel. The diverter can be manually operated with success and when there is a hot water demand the motor makes noise but does not divert all of the flow but when manually operated the water is good and hot.
All sound about right so far?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just done another test. I run the hot water slowly, enough just to start the boiler and the temperature on the gauge did not above 66. I then opened the tap a little further and it went up to 78 and the gas light went out. When opening the tap up full it did its usual trick.

could this be blocked plate heat exchanger

But it does not do that if you remove the motorised valve, right? Don't you get steady hot water then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If you remove the motorized valve does the hot water not work then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when the motor is removed the hot water does its usual tricks.

Do think we can pick this up tomorrow please.

Yes. No problem. It certainly sent me in a different direction when it seemed that tapping on the diverter made it not stick but that seems to not be the case at all. I will not be online for a lot of the day tomorrow. I will check in when I can. I will be taking a break for a couple hours after this also. I will be online after that for another 6 hours or so.