George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

there is ice accumulating inside the fridge, on one side, along

there is ice accumulating inside the fridge, on one side, along the back wall - otherwise it's working normally
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 years ago.
George-Allsorts :

Hello, my name is***** be patient whilst awaiting any responses as I'm not constantly available.

Can you give me the full model number of the appliance and also describe to me where abouts on the fridge wall the ice is... Is it ice or is it frost?

Customer:

GR -222SBD production date August 2001 - definitely ice

George-Allsorts :

Thank you for that information .. Let me check on a few things and then I#ll come back to you

George-Allsorts :

Is the fridge or freezer fan assisted on that model?

Customer:

no, not fan assisted

George-Allsorts :

OK thanks.. I couldn't tell since the unit is an old one and most parts are obsolete

George-Allsorts :

In this case, can I ask you; does the compressor run for long periods at a time?

Customer:

never noticed it doing that

George-Allsorts :

If it does, then the problem is likely that the appliance is low on refrigerant.. however, if it doesn't, then the ice formation is indicative of a breakdown in the insulation of the appliance

Customer:

do I need a new fridge

George-Allsorts :

Please check the length of time that the compessor runs for.. if it is over 5 mins at a time, have the refrigerant levels checked

George-Allsorts :

If the compressor runs for normal time lengths then I'm afrwaid it is possible that the appliance is irrepairable

George-Allsorts :

Can I ask you to now take time to assist me by clicking on the smiley faces that you can now see... This will help me as it rates my assistance with your problems

Customer:

you can - thanks for your help